VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i was just wondering where u all get your VSR's from and what ampherage they need to be able to take?

Robbie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for the replies guys, i had a look at the raw components relay but it only seems to be for 100 amps, is this enough? the kits the sell as well im assuming you would have to go for the 80-120amp kit? i have considered the BEP125 amp one jurasik as i thought this would be the only one with a high enough rating but am i wrong cos a kit would be easier?

Robbie

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
My VSR is plenty big enough for the purpose.
Why do you need a kit? If you get a kit, you would have to place the bits where the extent of the cable lets you put them. If you get the bits individually, you can put them where you want. Also, as a VSR is very simple to fit, it seems strange that a kit would need to be offered.
Just my 2p..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got a kit from Raw components (as well as all the wiring for the van's electrics). You can spec how long you want each piece of wire so placement isn't an issue. It also comes with all the bits you need and is available in different amp ratings. The dude there is really helpful if you give him a call.

You also get instructions which were good for me as tells you how to fit it, where to put the fuses, safety issues and how to test the circuit before you connect.

·
Registered
847 Posts
i am aware of that was just wondering as will be sorting my split charge asap.
asked in a motor factors and he was saying could be a 90 120 or 150 unit??

W

·
0 Posts
So the VSR is connected to the battery, then to the utility battery? :confused:

Does that mean it charges the utility battery from the main battery?

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
When driving, The Starter battery will charge first, then, when starter battery fully charged, the VSR will divert the charge to the second battery and charge that.

When parked, starter battery will not be used to power anything as the VSR will cut off the connection between the two batteries

That's how it was explained to me anyway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When driving, The Starter battery will charge first, then, when starter battery fully charged, the VSR will divert the charge to the second battery and charge that.

When parked, starter battery will not be used to power anything as the VSR will cut off the connection between the two batteries

That's how it was explained to me anyway.
The batteries will remain linked until the voltage drops below 12.8V, if you are on a mains hookup and have a power unit like the PMS3 the relay will remain energised charging both your leisure and main battery (dual sense relay only). However this works both ways so if your leisure battery is fully charged (say off a solar panel) it is possible that when you start the van both batteries will be linked until the voltage drops below 12.8v.

·
Registered
414 Posts
As Voltage sensing Relay type split chargers are rated at 125amp or even 140amp wouldn't they suck all the power they can get from a 90amp alternator and burn it out? I know you can larger alternators but typically they are all 90amp - what have others done in this case?

I have an electronic 90amp charger at the moment like the sterling one but Durite and it seems to be burning out alternators so now considering just using a relay version (VSR) as seems to be tried and tested on t4 forum!

So can we safely use a 140amp VSR on a 90amp alternator?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts