VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my caravelle standard tyre should be 205/65/15 with load rating of 100

Does the same apply for winter/ snow tyres, we are off to the Alps next month I want not only the best snow tyres for the job but also the correct load rating and size.

Do vw recommend a different width for snow tyres or exactly same as summer ?

Cheers all !!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Hi all my caravelle standard tyre should be 205/65/15 with load rating of 100

Does the same apply for winter/ snow tyres, we are off to the Alps next month I want not only the best snow tyres for the job but also the correct load rating and size.

Do vw recommend a different width for snow tyres or exactly same as summer ?

Cheers all !!
Driving on snow will not make your van lighter!

Joking aside the same size would be fine (as you are not silly large), I don't think VW had a specific recommendation. For example tyres fitted to say a new T6 are the same size regardless of 4 season or summer.

I guess things to think about are a spare, and also like summer tyres many winter / all season tyres are directional. Most tyre maufacturers would not stop you using them on the wrong wheel; but would probably state 50 mph max, like using a space saver A:A:T:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,099 Posts
I would go for a "softer" tyre rather then say a Michelin Alpin if you will only be using these tyres a couple of months a year as the chances are they will become age-limited long before the tread wears out (especially in the case of the Aplins, which are very good tyres and hardwearing, but expensive.)
I like the Continental winter tyres, but now run the Michelin Cross-Climates as they are all-year tyres so the aging aspect is not a factor (I think they are rated as official Winter tyres as well, so suitable for countries where they are mandatory)

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts
195/70 - 15s are the most common size for winter tyres in Norway.....either with or without studs.
Studded are best, but cannot be used in many parts of Europe.

If you want best performance, go for the ones using "Nordic" rubber....it out-performs the usual European stuff as it is designed to work at lower temps.

Hankook and Nokian both make good winter tyres. (The 2 most recommended here.)

Do NOT go for chunky looking ones.....the most important factor is the number of very small slits they have in them (splines) as this allows the tyre to deflect on ice and so improve grip.

Each year our government controlled road agency does tests on tyres.....and in 10 years I've never seen either Michelin or Continental in the upper 50%.
Even Gislaved (cheap European make) come out higher for performance in snow/ice.

Also, we have a 5 years "life" for tyres here, but as long as winter tyres have minimum 5mm tread and no cracks in them, a "blind eye" is taken.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
but now run the Michelin Cross-Climates as they are all-year tyres so the aging aspect is not a factor (I think they are rated as official Winter tyres as well, so suitable for countries where they are mandatory)
What do you use for a spare Hoovie, if Cross Climate do you have offside or nearside, or maybe you carry one of each?? :*

·
8,099 Posts
What do you use for a spare Hoovie, if Cross Climate do you have offside or nearside, or maybe you carry one of each?? :*
These are on my car and I have a space saver. When I had pure winter tyres before it was the same.
I have never worried about exactly matching the spare tyre to the "regular" set of tyres. Why bother for a tyre that has very little chance of being used. Same as my T5 ... I run 17" alloys or 16" AT tyres and my spare is a standard 16" size.

I don't like not having a spare, but the last time I used one was from memory 2002?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
These are on my car and I have a space saver. When I had pure winter tyres before it was the same.
I have never worried about exactly matching the spare tyre to the "regular" set of tyres. Why bother for a tyre that has very little chance of being used. Same as my T5 ... I run 17" alloys or 16" AT tyres and my spare is a standard 16" size.

I don't like not having a spare, but the last time I used one was from memory 2002?
Hoovie, fair comment, I just wondered what your personal thought process had been.

I have a spare set of 16" BBS here (5) and was considering Cross Climate, and the choice of spare crossed my mind. Must check what VW do from new with their 4 seasons; will be at the dealership tomorrow T:T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts
I agree....the spare is for emergency use only......just to get to the nearest place to get the duff tyre fixed.

I guess my spare is the original.....so 16 years old!
Wouldn't trust it for any distance anyway.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I agree....the spare is for emergency use only......just to get to the nearest place to get the duff tyre fixed.

I guess my spare is the original.....so 16 years old!
Wouldn't trust it for any distance anyway.
I used to think like that, but situations change your mind ....... I always carry two spare wheels anyway.

I think it is a throwback to driving 600+ miles a night, every night on a strict 'timed' delivery ............ they say old habits die hard.

I bought my first T4 to do that, had it 13 months and covered just over 135,000 miles, been hooked on T4's ever since and that was 26 years ago. Had lots of nice stuff in the meantime, but always had a T4 lurking in the background .................. you could say I'm an addict ;)

·
8,099 Posts
Hoovie, fair comment, I just wondered what your personal thought process had been.

I have a spare set of 16" BBS here (5) and was considering Cross Climate, and the choice of spare crossed my mind. Must check what VW do from new with their 4 seasons; will be at the dealership tomorrow T:T:
What I will say is that the Cross-Climate tyres I have on my car are the best tyres I have ever used bar non, winter AND summer T: A: :ILU: (I would usually buy Conti Cross-Contacts for my cars typically).
I was not that impressed with the mid-range winters I ran on the DS5 or the DS4, so when the Cross-Cimates became available and the regular factory-fitted Michelin Primacy tyres needed replacing, I went for the CC's and very pleased indeed I did. It means I am on the right tyre always, no matter what the temperature is.
The problem with having seperate sets is for fair amount of time, you will be on the "wrong" one during the season cusps, where the temps fluctuate day by day above and below 8C, and even during the day.
If I lived in Norway or the like, then maybe I would stick to dedicated winters, but for the UK the Cross-Climates are ideal, and the fact they are actually a brilliant tyre in terms of their road-holding performance is the cherry on the cake :D

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts

Same as ALL manufacturers do....they fit the ones they get the best deal from the makers!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Same as ALL manufacturers do....they fit the ones they get the best deal from the makers!
You missed the point, wanted to look at the spare the factory selected. Forget the economics after over 48 years in and around the motor industry, and losing O.E. deals for as little as a farthing I can work that one out Gaz T:T:

Was down there earlier, but got side tracked looking at an ABT T5GP. Was ready to spend the £24k they were asking, but then was told one of the team had just sold it 45 minutes before. Then after a coffee it started to rain, so did not bother, but will be there again in the morning, hopefully they will have got some biscuits by then.

As I said to the Sales Manager, that was the best bit of used stock I had seen there in the last 10 years .................. it will take a lot to part me from my MV, trust me; but that may just have done it .................... sorry T4 fans, I nearly went over to the 'dark side' LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good stuff thanks guys..I'm very tempted by the Michelin cross climates but they only go up to 99 load rating.

There seem to be plenty more options at 195/70 profile than 205/65 profile if wanting the correct load rating...but comparing all the other factors with the handy eu symbols the cross climates seem to outperform most in wet grip fuel efficiency and noise ! Also as pointed out they can be used all year round too !

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
I run on Nokian Hakkapelita, Nordic model. The only other tyre I wil use is the Yokohama Studless. I have driven 3 trips to Romania in the winter and on snowy roads, had the left lane all to myself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Given that Michelin Cross Climates work well all year in most conditions, how well do they wear? 'Cause they are mighty expensive in the UK!

I did consider them but finished up with Avons that seem quite good and have a better load rating, speed doesn't really matter that much given we are restricted to 50 or 60mph most of the time in this part of the world.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live and work in Munich and run mine on Michelin Cross Climate - they are fully legal in Germany and Austria as Winter Tyres. Because I can run them all year it saves hassle and space (no need to store a set of wheels). We go skiing in the Alps and Dolomites most weekends during the season and have had absolutely no problems and we have driven in some pretty severe conditions.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I live and work in Munich and run mine on Michelin Cross Climate - they are fully legal in Germany and Austria as Winter Tyres. Because I can run them all year it saves hassle and space (no need to store a set of wheels). We go skiing in the Alps and Dolomites most weekends during the season and have had absolutely no problems and we have driven in some pretty severe conditions.
Great positive input thanks. Love Michelin, worked with them in the past; just makes me want to try a set even more now :cool:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts
We bought a Smart 8 years ago for the wifes daily driver.
It came from Oslo (12 hour drive south of us, but transporter-ed up) and the FIRST thing the dealer where we collected it from (same company) said was "I'd get some PROPER tyres on that car!"
The were Michelin "all season"...problem is, the rubber is too hard.
Michelin have always (from when I was a kid, 20 years ago) had a reputation for long life, but really cr*p performance in wet.
Even WORSE on ice and snow.
The rubber is too hard, and they don't put enough splines on the edges to perform in winter.

"I live and work in Munich and run mine on Michelin Cross Climate - they are fully legal in Germany and Austria as Winter Tyres."
Yeah, we use "all season" on our Smart Roadster, as there's not much chance to drive it in winter.....but "all season" tyres are pretty much a compromise....now great in summer, and very poor in winter.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Michelin have always (from when I was a kid, 20 years ago) had a reputation for long life, but really cr*p performance in wet.
Michelin Agilis are brilliant on a T4, great wet weather characteristics(I have a set on steels and a set on what we call 'votex' alloys) ................................. oh and the term you are loking for Gaz is 'sipes' not splines.

I think the cross climate are quite a departure in design, and should not be compared to the currently available products in terms of just looks alone.

I have tested tyres for several maunfacturers over the years, and never made a judgement without actually running on them first T:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts