VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Vw approved winter tyre t4 caravelle ?

7K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  Pickledog 
#1 ·
Hi all my caravelle standard tyre should be 205/65/15 with load rating of 100

Does the same apply for winter/ snow tyres, we are off to the Alps next month I want not only the best snow tyres for the job but also the correct load rating and size.

Do vw recommend a different width for snow tyres or exactly same as summer ?

Cheers all !!

#2 ·
Driving on snow will not make your van lighter!

Joking aside the same size would be fine (as you are not silly large), I don't think VW had a specific recommendation. For example tyres fitted to say a new T6 are the same size regardless of 4 season or summer.

I guess things to think about are a spare, and also like summer tyres many winter / all season tyres are directional. Most tyre maufacturers would not stop you using them on the wrong wheel; but would probably state 50 mph max, like using a space saver A:A:T:

#3 ·
I would go for a "softer" tyre rather then say a Michelin Alpin if you will only be using these tyres a couple of months a year as the chances are they will become age-limited long before the tread wears out (especially in the case of the Aplins, which are very good tyres and hardwearing, but expensive.)
I like the Continental winter tyres, but now run the Michelin Cross-Climates as they are all-year tyres so the aging aspect is not a factor (I think they are rated as official Winter tyres as well, so suitable for countries where they are mandatory)

#4 · (Edited)
195/70 - 15s are the most common size for winter tyres in Norway.....either with or without studs.
Studded are best, but cannot be used in many parts of Europe.

If you want best performance, go for the ones using "Nordic" rubber....it out-performs the usual European stuff as it is designed to work at lower temps.

Hankook and Nokian both make good winter tyres. (The 2 most recommended here.)

Do NOT go for chunky looking ones.....the most important factor is the number of very small slits they have in them (splines) as this allows the tyre to deflect on ice and so improve grip.

Each year our government controlled road agency does tests on tyres.....and in 10 years I've never seen either Michelin or Continental in the upper 50%.
Even Gislaved (cheap European make) come out higher for performance in snow/ice.

Also, we have a 5 years "life" for tyres here, but as long as winter tyres have minimum 5mm tread and no cracks in them, a "blind eye" is taken.

#10 ·
I used to think like that, but situations change your mind ....... I always carry two spare wheels anyway.

I think it is a throwback to driving 600+ miles a night, every night on a strict 'timed' delivery ............ they say old habits die hard.

I bought my first T4 to do that, had it 13 months and covered just over 135,000 miles, been hooked on T4's ever since and that was 26 years ago. Had lots of nice stuff in the meantime, but always had a T4 lurking in the background .................. you could say I'm an addict ;)

#14 ·
All good stuff thanks guys..I'm very tempted by the Michelin cross climates but they only go up to 99 load rating.

There seem to be plenty more options at 195/70 profile than 205/65 profile if wanting the correct load rating...but comparing all the other factors with the handy eu symbols the cross climates seem to outperform most in wet grip fuel efficiency and noise ! Also as pointed out they can be used all year round too !

#15 ·
I run on Nokian Hakkapelita, Nordic model. The only other tyre I wil use is the Yokohama Studless. I have driven 3 trips to Romania in the winter and on snowy roads, had the left lane all to myself.

#16 ·
Given that Michelin Cross Climates work well all year in most conditions, how well do they wear? 'Cause they are mighty expensive in the UK!

I did consider them but finished up with Avons that seem quite good and have a better load rating, speed doesn't really matter that much given we are restricted to 50 or 60mph most of the time in this part of the world.

#17 ·
I live and work in Munich and run mine on Michelin Cross Climate - they are fully legal in Germany and Austria as Winter Tyres. Because I can run them all year it saves hassle and space (no need to store a set of wheels). We go skiing in the Alps and Dolomites most weekends during the season and have had absolutely no problems and we have driven in some pretty severe conditions.

#19 ·
We bought a Smart 8 years ago for the wifes daily driver.
It came from Oslo (12 hour drive south of us, but transporter-ed up) and the FIRST thing the dealer where we collected it from (same company) said was "I'd get some PROPER tyres on that car!"
The were Michelin "all season"...problem is, the rubber is too hard.
Michelin have always (from when I was a kid, 20 years ago) had a reputation for long life, but really cr*p performance in wet.
Even WORSE on ice and snow.
The rubber is too hard, and they don't put enough splines on the edges to perform in winter.

"I live and work in Munich and run mine on Michelin Cross Climate - they are fully legal in Germany and Austria as Winter Tyres."
Yeah, we use "all season" on our Smart Roadster, as there's not much chance to drive it in winter.....but "all season" tyres are pretty much a compromise....now great in summer, and very poor in winter.

#20 ·
Michelin have always (from when I was a kid, 20 years ago) had a reputation for long life, but really cr*p performance in wet.
Michelin Agilis are brilliant on a T4, great wet weather characteristics(I have a set on steels and a set on what we call 'votex' alloys) ................................. oh and the term you are loking for Gaz is 'sipes' not splines.

I think the cross climate are quite a departure in design, and should not be compared to the currently available products in terms of just looks alone.

I have tested tyres for several maunfacturers over the years, and never made a judgement without actually running on them first T:

#21 ·
Just back from a trip round Europe, driving over snowy mountain passes etc. We've been very impressed with the snow grip and comfort of our Maxxis MA W2 195 / 70 r 15c. Emergency stops with no ABS downhill with 3" of fresh snow and we barely skidded!

The ride is a little more "wobbly" but that's already improved with a few 1000KM. Cheap too at £65/corner.

#22 ·
Sometime we get a bit too brand aware, and maybe 'over buy'...............but this is tyres we are talking about; our only contact with the road (unless you are on your roof of course) LOL:

I go back to motorcycles in the 1970's, when people with a limited budget bought tyres of that nature from me ................. thinking of Cheng Shin to be precise.

Now I know both times and technology have changed, but Cheng Shin still sits in the back of my mind ................ and Cheng Shin own Maxxis ;)

#28 ·
It would be nice to be able to get some sensible reviews on tyres that are good for all round use (we don't need winter tyres in the UK generally except perhaps ocaisionally in Scotland) that last reasonably and are sensibly priced.

Personally I'm trying some Avons that fit my bill but I wait to be fully convinced.

#29 ·
Pretty much impossible ................... same brand, same model tyres feel slightly different on different vehicles; and trust me THEY REALLY DO! Have proved that to myself at factory test track facilities.

Tyres like every other component go through a development programme, often with specific vehicles in mind ................ sadly that will not be our trusty T4's.

People will inflate to pressures they feel are about right as many are using a non standard wheel / tyre combination, so no common denominator there.

Non industry (i.e. vehicle owner) testing on older vehicles is pretty much useless. Suspension component wear, odd geometry angles, will all make a huge difference when trying to obtain meaningful results.

When do you want to judge them, brand new off the production line over a few hundred or thousand miles; half worn, three quarters worn :*:*

I could go on and on (indeed many often think I do). Like most things people will often buy on brand recognition (a name they feel they should trust); and for those brands you cannot quite pronounce correctly, on price LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

#31 · (Edited)
I still laugh at comments like "We don't need winter tyres here in UK..."
Next I read on MSN news of the chaos on UK roads 'cos there is an inch of snow!
Thousands of pounds of lost production as people can't get to work.
Parents have to take a day off to look after kids as the schools are closed.

Headlines today:
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...t-to-lowest-this-winter/ar-AAmPnqE?li=BBoPWjQ

"Temperatures Plummet".....

Get used to UK, you'll be at Norway levels before you know it (one of our "exports" so it seems. as Scandinavia is being blamed for the cold air LOL: )

-14 here yesterday, and I was out cutting wood wall panels with my shirt sleeves rolled up T:

Winter tyres are NOT just for snow....the rubber compound is designed for low temps and improves grip.

Parts of China also have severe cold....so don't knock their expertise in making rubber to suit.

Edit;
Just noticed this morning....my wife's car has studded Hankook tyres, but they must have come from a well known highstreet store, as they say M+S on them!!

#32 ·
Really enjoyed the thread, and your putting to bed of all previous discussion LOL:LOL:LOL: I was looking for a set of cross climates for my new wheels. I'm yorkshireman too, and it's getting a bit on the cold side - so I got a set of proper winter tyres, with alloys to sell on... and then the 'all weather' tyres can be bought. Your version of winter is probably amazing. I reckon I'm jealous.

So, if anyone can specifically recommend the following combination of 'stuff', then i'll just test it out for myself:

* 1999 T4 2.4D;
* Vogtland -40mm springs w/ 3mm polyurethane shims, making hopefully -50mm;
* R16 7J ET45 Audi wheels - 8D0 601 025 C (load rated to 580kg and I have a 1200 multivan van. I know, but I'm happy with my *** packet calcs.);
* 255/55/R16 99V XL Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25V

However, I'll probably not do much driving in t'snow.. so I might have just hijacked the thread!!

#33 ·
I run on the Nokian Hakkapelita CR and I think they are the best winter tyres. I still have 5 mm of threads left after 6 years.
You might want to have a look at the Michelin Crossclimate.

#34 ·
Must be that time of year, spent an age yesterday looking at tyres and still none the wiser, limited budget and I want to replace all four (front getting folic-ally challenged I: and rear sidewall cracking/mot advisory) Hankook RA10s came out in favour on price at £52 a corner or Michelin Agilis cross climate at around £83.. That's a 195/70/15R for my steelies. mail order not fitted.
As usual I have a beer budget with a champagne taste...I:

#35 ·
MAIN thing is, "winter tyres" are not just for snow.
The rubber compound is designed for temps below 7C.

This is the reason that "all year" tyres don't perform correctly in either summer or winter. :(

Just changed 12 wheels over last weekend....

@Indian:
"I run on the Nokian Hakkapelita CR and I think they are the best winter tyres. I still have 5 mm of threads left after 6 years.
You might want to have a look at the Michelin Crossclimate."

I had at least that much tread left on my tyres, but half the studs were missing, the other half worn down.
Fitted a full set of Gislaved 195/65-15s after 8 years of the old ones (can't remember what they were....)

#39 ·
Yeah, but you live "darn south".

It's like in UK, "Northern People" have totally different conditions to the "Southern Jessies"....LOL:

There was once a "warning" put out about weather in UK.....
It stated everyone south of Doncaster should prepare there car for bad weather.....and make sure they packed blankets, a thermos and extra food and possibly a spare can of fuel.
Anyone north of Doncaster, it said "put yer thicker shirt on".....I:

It's down to -4C here now.....and I still wear my short sleeve shirts (and no jacket) when outside. Rasp:

#37 ·
Whilst no longer a T5 owner, I would like to contribute to this thread

I required 'All Season' tyres with the Snow Flake Symbol for my motorhome trips through Germany - a legal requirement for the winter months there

My rational was that I didn't want 2 sets of wheels/tyres due to fairly low annual mileage (8-10k miles a year) saving the hassle of changing them twice a year and storing them

After much research & using the EU Tyre label comparisons, I decided on General Eurovan A/S 365 - size 215/70/15

I have been a fan of General tyres, in particular the 'Grabbers' used on my 4 wheel drive vehicles in the past

My existing tyres were Bridgestone Duravis EU rating: E For Economy, B for Grip and 72db for noise

General Eurovan A/S 365 EU rating: C For Economy, A for Grip and 73db for noise

So in theory, better economy, more grip but slightly noiser

In practice:

I have not noticed a significant change in economy, but time will tell - 37mpg average

They feel much grippier (as expected) but you have to factor in that they were replacing tyres with 2mm of tread left on them!
In the wet they feel very reassuring (and it does occasionally rain in Wales)
During last winter, cars could not get up the icy hill to get out of the hanging valley where I live, my trusty Moho with all season tyres went up as if the road was dry.

My concerns about additional noise were unfounded, if they are noisier, then it is not audible above the rest of the noise (in particular me singing (wailing) to whatever song is playing on the ICE

After 16,000 miles they don't seem to have worn any worse than 'ordinary' tyres.

They were only £100 per corner fitted

I'd be interested in what others are using.......and their EU ratings....

#38 ·
Whilst no longer a T5 owner, I would like to contribute to this thread

I required 'All Season' tyres with the Snow Flake Symbol for my motorhome trips through Germany - a legal requirement for the winter months there

My rational was that I didn't want 2 sets of wheels/tyres due to fairly low annual mileage (8-10k miles a year) saving the hassle of changing them twice a year and storing them - so 'all season' was the way to go

After much research & using the EU Tyre label comparisons, I decided on General Eurovan A/S 365 - size 215/70/15

I have been a fan of General tyres, in particular the 'Grabbers' used on my 4 wheel drive vehicles in the past

My existing tyres were Bridgestone Duravis EU rating: E For Economy, B for Grip and 72db for noise

General Eurovan A/S 365 EU rating: C For Economy, A for Grip and 73db for noise

So in theory, better economy, more grip but slightly noiser

In practice:

I have not noticed a significant change in economy, but time will tell - 37mpg average

They feel much grippier (as expected) but you have to factor in that they were replacing tyres with 2mm of tread left on them!
In the wet they feel very reassuring (and it does occasionally rain in Wales)
During last winter, cars could not get up the icy hill to get out of the hanging valley where I live, my trusty Moho with all season tyres went up as if the road was dry.

My concerns about additional noise were unfounded, if they are noisier, then it is not audible above the rest of the noise (in particular me singing (wailing) to whatever song is playing on the ICE

After 16,000 miles they don't seem to have worn any worse than 'ordinary' tyres.

They were only £100 per corner fitted

I'd be interested in what others are using.......and their EU ratings....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.