VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Just back from a trip round Europe, driving over snowy mountain passes etc. We've been very impressed with the snow grip and comfort of our Maxxis MA W2 195 / 70 r 15c. Emergency stops with no ABS downhill with 3" of fresh snow and we barely skidded!

The ride is a little more "wobbly" but that's already improved with a few 1000KM. Cheap too at £65/corner.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Just back from a trip round Europe, driving over snowy mountain passes etc. We've been very impressed with the snow grip and comfort of our Maxxis MA W2 195 / 70 r 15c. Emergency stops with no ABS downhill with 3" of fresh snow and we barely skidded!

The ride is a little more "wobbly" but that's already improved with a few 1000KM. Cheap too at £65/corner.
Sometime we get a bit too brand aware, and maybe 'over buy'...............but this is tyres we are talking about; our only contact with the road (unless you are on your roof of course) LOL:

I go back to motorcycles in the 1970's, when people with a limited budget bought tyres of that nature from me ................. thinking of Cheng Shin to be precise.

Now I know both times and technology have changed, but Cheng Shin still sits in the back of my mind ................ and Cheng Shin own Maxxis ;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Now I know both times and technology have changed, but Cheng Shin still sits in the back of my mind ................ and Cheng Shin own Maxxis ;)[/QUOTE]

Swallow tyres were a bit dodgy but lasted forever.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Sometime we get a bit too brand aware, and maybe 'over buy'...............but this is tyres we are talking about; our only contact with the road (unless you are on your roof of course) LOL:

I go back to motorcycles in the 1970's, when people with a limited budget bought tyres of that nature from me ................. thinking of Cheng Shin to be precise.

Now I know both times and technology have changed, but Cheng Shin still sits in the back of my mind ................ and Cheng Shin own Maxxis ;)
Maxxis, as in the leading mountainbike tyre manufacturer, winning ? You do know that China now makes a lot of the best products in many product lines?

I spent 4 years in the alps, both driving our van and Vivaro minibuses in a lot of snow. Our old tyres were Gislaved Nordfrost and the minibus tyres were all sorts, but usually "top branded", these maxxis have blown them all out of the water for snow performance.

What's the concern? I know cheaper Chinese/non-brand tyres can have a reputation for not performing as well as "premuim" brands - but I've never heard of any safety related problems. My own experience is that these tyres perform very well, the only downside is a marginally more wobbly ride - not bad enough I wouldn't consider buying them again.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Maxxis, as in the leading mountainbike tyre manufacturer, winning ? You do know that China now makes a lot of the best products in many product lines?

I spent 4 years in the alps, both driving our van and Vivaro minibuses in a lot of snow. Our old tyres were Gislaved Nordfrost and the minibus tyres were all sorts, but usually "top branded", these maxxis have blown them all out of the water for snow performance.

What's the concern? I know cheaper Chinese/non-brand tyres can have a reputation for not performing as well as "premuim" brands - but I've never heard of any safety related problems. My own experience is that these tyres perform very well, the only downside is a marginally more wobbly ride - not bad enough I wouldn't consider buying them again.
No concerns, just reflective views, that's what people tend to do on forums.

I have been to Maxxis looking for potentiall sponsorship deals for race series here in the UK, so if you read my post it's not a criticism. Maxxis are also an O.E. supplier to VW, certainly on some T6's I have seen.

Having spent 48 years in the motor industry, and sitting here typing wearing a Michelin fleecy, I am quite aware of how tyres work T:T:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
No concerns, just reflective views, that's what people tend to do on forums.

I have been to Maxxis looking for potentiall sponsorship deals for race series here in the UK, so if you read my post it's not a criticism. Maxxis are also an O.E. supplier to VW, certainly on some T6's I have seen.

Having spent 48 years in the motor industry, and sitting here typing wearing a Michelin fleecy, I am quite aware of how tyres work T:T:
Ah, so you're a Michelin lackey then ;-) [kidding]. I certainly am no industry insider, but do have some relevant winter driving experience in the UK and Alps (I used to work for an airport transfer company as a lowly driver to find my skiing), so thought that might be relevant.

As you might have seen form my other [not very well viewed...] thread, I have found it difficult to get decent reviews of commercial/van winter tyres, so all we can go on is brand/anecdote/hunch! So the more genuine feedback people give the better.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Ah, so you're a Michelin lackey then ;-) [kidding].
Nah just happen to have done a lot of tyre testing with them Rasp:

Tyres are very subjective, and choice can become driven by right or wrong reasons, in many peoples eyes. Often depends if you are buying or selling.

If failure was high more new vehicles would have a spare, and that includes VW T6's for example. So most of them seem to work, it's just to what degree.

Trust me 200mph on Spanish dual carriageways is often not the way to find out; but grand prix tracks are a lot more boring LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
57 Posts
It would be nice to be able to get some sensible reviews on tyres that are good for all round use (we don't need winter tyres in the UK generally except perhaps ocaisionally in Scotland) that last reasonably and are sensibly priced.

Personally I'm trying some Avons that fit my bill but I wait to be fully convinced.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
It would be nice to be able to get some sensible reviews on tyres that are good for all round use (we don't need winter tyres in the UK generally except perhaps ocaisionally in Scotland) that last reasonably and are sensibly priced.

Personally I'm trying some Avons that fit my bill but I wait to be fully convinced.
Pretty much impossible ................... same brand, same model tyres feel slightly different on different vehicles; and trust me THEY REALLY DO! Have proved that to myself at factory test track facilities.

Tyres like every other component go through a development programme, often with specific vehicles in mind ................ sadly that will not be our trusty T4's.

People will inflate to pressures they feel are about right as many are using a non standard wheel / tyre combination, so no common denominator there.

Non industry (i.e. vehicle owner) testing on older vehicles is pretty much useless. Suspension component wear, odd geometry angles, will all make a huge difference when trying to obtain meaningful results.

When do you want to judge them, brand new off the production line over a few hundred or thousand miles; half worn, three quarters worn :*:*

I could go on and on (indeed many often think I do). Like most things people will often buy on brand recognition (a name they feel they should trust); and for those brands you cannot quite pronounce correctly, on price LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
947 Posts

Ok. So I run Michelin Agilis all season tyres. No issues and if you shop around not to bad on the price

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
I still laugh at comments like "We don't need winter tyres here in UK..."
Next I read on MSN news of the chaos on UK roads 'cos there is an inch of snow!
Thousands of pounds of lost production as people can't get to work.
Parents have to take a day off to look after kids as the schools are closed.

Headlines today:
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/warnings-issued-to-travellers-as-temperatures-plummet-to-lowest-this-winter/ar-AAmPnqE?li=BBoPWjQ

"Temperatures Plummet".....

Get used to UK, you'll be at Norway levels before you know it (one of our "exports" so it seems. as Scandinavia is being blamed for the cold air LOL: )

-14 here yesterday, and I was out cutting wood wall panels with my shirt sleeves rolled up T:

Winter tyres are NOT just for snow....the rubber compound is designed for low temps and improves grip.

Parts of China also have severe cold....so don't knock their expertise in making rubber to suit.

Edit;
Just noticed this morning....my wife's car has studded Hankook tyres, but they must have come from a well known highstreet store, as they say M+S on them!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I still laugh at comments like "We don't need winter tyres here in UK..."
Next I read on MSN news of the chaos on UK roads 'cos there is an inch of snow!
Thousands of pounds of lost production as people can't get to work.
Parents have to take a day off to look after kids as the schools are closed.

Headlines today:
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/warnings-issued-to-travellers-as-temperatures-plummet-to-lowest-this-winter/ar-AAmPnqE?li=BBoPWjQ

"Temperatures Plummet".....

Get used to UK, you'll be at Norway levels before you know it (one of our "exports" so it seems. as Scandinavia is being blamed for the cold air LOL: )

-14 here yesterday, and I was out cutting wood wall panels with my shirt sleeves rolled up T:

Winter tyres are NOT just for snow....the rubber compound is designed for low temps and improves grip.

Parts of China also have severe cold....so don't knock their expertise in making rubber to suit.

Edit;
Just noticed this morning....my wife's car has studded Hankook tyres, but they must have come from a well known highstreet store, as they say M+S on them!!
Really enjoyed the thread, and your putting to bed of all previous discussion LOL:LOL:LOL: I was looking for a set of cross climates for my new wheels. I'm yorkshireman too, and it's getting a bit on the cold side - so I got a set of proper winter tyres, with alloys to sell on... and then the 'all weather' tyres can be bought. Your version of winter is probably amazing. I reckon I'm jealous.

So, if anyone can specifically recommend the following combination of 'stuff', then i'll just test it out for myself:

* 1999 T4 2.4D;
* Vogtland -40mm springs w/ 3mm polyurethane shims, making hopefully -50mm;
* R16 7J ET45 Audi wheels - 8D0 601 025 C (load rated to 580kg and I have a 1200 multivan van. I know, but I'm happy with my fag packet calcs.);
* 255/55/R16 99V XL Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25V

However, I'll probably not do much driving in t'snow.. so I might have just hijacked the thread!!

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I run on the Nokian Hakkapelita CR and I think they are the best winter tyres. I still have 5 mm of threads left after 6 years.
You might want to have a look at the Michelin Crossclimate.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Must be that time of year, spent an age yesterday looking at tyres and still none the wiser, limited budget and I want to replace all four (front getting folic-ally challenged I: and rear sidewall cracking/mot advisory) Hankook RA10s came out in favour on price at £52 a corner or Michelin Agilis cross climate at around £83.. That's a 195/70/15R for my steelies. mail order not fitted.
As usual I have a beer budget with a champagne taste...I:

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
MAIN thing is, "winter tyres" are not just for snow.
The rubber compound is designed for temps below 7C.

This is the reason that "all year" tyres don't perform correctly in either summer or winter. :(

Just changed 12 wheels over last weekend....

@Indian:
"I run on the Nokian Hakkapelita CR and I think they are the best winter tyres. I still have 5 mm of threads left after 6 years.
You might want to have a look at the Michelin Crossclimate."

I had at least that much tread left on my tyres, but half the studs were missing, the other half worn down.
Fitted a full set of Gislaved 195/65-15s after 8 years of the old ones (can't remember what they were....)

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
@Or_GazM.
I had at least that much tread left on my tyres, but half the studs were missing, the other half worn down.

Studs? I run on studless tyres.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Whilst no longer a T5 owner, I would like to contribute to this thread

I required 'All Season' tyres with the Snow Flake Symbol for my motorhome trips through Germany - a legal requirement for the winter months there

My rational was that I didn't want 2 sets of wheels/tyres due to fairly low annual mileage (8-10k miles a year) saving the hassle of changing them twice a year and storing them

After much research & using the EU Tyre label comparisons, I decided on General Eurovan A/S 365 - size 215/70/15

I have been a fan of General tyres, in particular the 'Grabbers' used on my 4 wheel drive vehicles in the past

My existing tyres were Bridgestone Duravis EU rating: E For Economy, B for Grip and 72db for noise

General Eurovan A/S 365 EU rating: C For Economy, A for Grip and 73db for noise

So in theory, better economy, more grip but slightly noiser

In practice:

I have not noticed a significant change in economy, but time will tell - 37mpg average

They feel much grippier (as expected) but you have to factor in that they were replacing tyres with 2mm of tread left on them!
In the wet they feel very reassuring (and it does occasionally rain in Wales)
During last winter, cars could not get up the icy hill to get out of the hanging valley where I live, my trusty Moho with all season tyres went up as if the road was dry.

My concerns about additional noise were unfounded, if they are noisier, then it is not audible above the rest of the noise (in particular me singing (wailing) to whatever song is playing on the ICE

After 16,000 miles they don't seem to have worn any worse than 'ordinary' tyres.

They were only £100 per corner fitted

I'd be interested in what others are using.......and their EU ratings....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Whilst no longer a T5 owner, I would like to contribute to this thread

I required 'All Season' tyres with the Snow Flake Symbol for my motorhome trips through Germany - a legal requirement for the winter months there

My rational was that I didn't want 2 sets of wheels/tyres due to fairly low annual mileage (8-10k miles a year) saving the hassle of changing them twice a year and storing them - so 'all season' was the way to go

After much research & using the EU Tyre label comparisons, I decided on General Eurovan A/S 365 - size 215/70/15

I have been a fan of General tyres, in particular the 'Grabbers' used on my 4 wheel drive vehicles in the past

My existing tyres were Bridgestone Duravis EU rating: E For Economy, B for Grip and 72db for noise

General Eurovan A/S 365 EU rating: C For Economy, A for Grip and 73db for noise

So in theory, better economy, more grip but slightly noiser

In practice:

I have not noticed a significant change in economy, but time will tell - 37mpg average

They feel much grippier (as expected) but you have to factor in that they were replacing tyres with 2mm of tread left on them!
In the wet they feel very reassuring (and it does occasionally rain in Wales)
During last winter, cars could not get up the icy hill to get out of the hanging valley where I live, my trusty Moho with all season tyres went up as if the road was dry.

My concerns about additional noise were unfounded, if they are noisier, then it is not audible above the rest of the noise (in particular me singing (wailing) to whatever song is playing on the ICE

After 16,000 miles they don't seem to have worn any worse than 'ordinary' tyres.

They were only £100 per corner fitted

I'd be interested in what others are using.......and their EU ratings....

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
@Or_GazM.

Studs? I run on studless tyres.

Yeah, but you live "darn south".

It's like in UK, "Northern People" have totally different conditions to the "Southern Jessies"....LOL:

There was once a "warning" put out about weather in UK.....
It stated everyone south of Doncaster should prepare there car for bad weather.....and make sure they packed blankets, a thermos and extra food and possibly a spare can of fuel.
Anyone north of Doncaster, it said "put yer thicker shirt on".....I:

It's down to -4C here now.....and I still wear my short sleeve shirts (and no jacket) when outside. Rasp:

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
After reading and reading and.... finally made a decision and I have to say that the Michelins have it!
£79 a piece from Oponeo is not bad I reckon.
Roll on pay day A:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts