VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

struggling to find info on where to find spare parts for a genuine VW bike rack. One of the lower fixing brackets that clamps the rack to the back door lost a bolt on a trip. I just need the M6 bolt and the cylindrical washer (sure there a more official term for that). The clamp itself somehow stayed put.

Any help willbe gratefully received! Thanks.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,313 Posts
Unless it's a very unusual bolt head/thread combination, just buying generic stainless M6 bolts is easy enough in small quantities on Ebay. There are lots of suppliers but I tend to use Kay's Fasteners as they've been reliable and quick - I've bought a ~lot~ of bolts (nut, washers, etc) from them. A generic bolt should be a fraction of the price that someone will charge you for a "genuine VW" part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently replaced both the screw and the cylinder that it fits through, I replaced both with stainless as the originals had both rusted, the cylinder/washer is 10mm x 35mm (anything around that should do, it's not too critical) drilling it might be a minor pain, a pillar drill and clamp would make things a lot easier.

The screw measures M6 x 60mm but is slightly unusual to find an M6 set screw that long, it's more common to find bolts which have a shank/shoulder which is fine if it's only as long as the cylinder is wide but I have a feeling that at that length the shank would be longer hence why it needs to be a set screw. I hope I'm not over-complicating things, I found some stainless M6 x 60 set screws that were spot-on from Kays Fasteners on ebay, I've used Kays many times and they're really good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts