VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Not sure where to post this but here will do.
Seen a vw bora i like as a second car maybe. Really like the styleing on these and was just wondering if anyone could advise me on them, they do look good and being vw im sure they must be fairly well built, seem to hold there money quite well too.
Any help much appreciated.
:ILU:

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Was looking at them and golf mk4's not long ago but wanted the 130 sport, but all too far away and high milage. In the end got a really nice mk4 golf 130 so very happy. T: The bora's a nice car.

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was looking at them and golf mk4's not long ago but wanted the 130 sport, but all too far away and high milage. In the end got a really nice mk4 golf 130 so very happy. T: The bora's a nice car.
Agreed i either want a bora or a mk4 golf, just thought the bora was a little bit different and would hold its money ya know. Seen a lovely one, black 2ltr on 18's and lowered a smidge, its an x reg and done 98,000 for £2250 (thought that was more than a fair price)
Im asumeing they are exacly the same engine's as golfs?!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Wifey has a Bora and loves it..1.9 tdi 100. Very simular to the Golf and has a huge boot space,, well comfy for 4 adults...economical avaerage 50 mpg and goes like stink...T:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
The 100bhp 1.9tdis of that era - whether they're in the Golf, Bora, Beetle or whatever are STONKINGLY good motors - pull like trains and return mega economy.

The Bora is one of those 'once in every 10 years' cars that VW pull out of the bag (ie a decent design, not just a re-hash) and I would have one in a flash!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
The Bora & mk4 Golf are as far as I can tell the same car with exception of the boot & front end panels, I'm sure it'd just be a nuts & bolts job to fit the Bora front end to the Golf, folk have been doing it with older Golfs & Jettas for years! Everyone seems to want the Golf & the Bora seems kinda over-looked but unless I really needed the hatch I'd have the Bora every time. I'm not saying the Golf looks bad but the Bora is far more "right", it all adds up somehow in a better way.
All that applies to owning/running the Golf should apply the Bora too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a LHD Bora Estate - best car I've had - TDI 115 PD is perfect - v fast and economical - lots of space for family stuff etc. As per earlier comment the Golf seems more desirable so you can pick up a Bora for a bit less. Do it.

Cheers
Keith.

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
115 is probably enough . there are a few blinged ones round our way all euro'ed up. like you say a bit different but the safe golf mechanics

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Excellent car but stay away from the 2.0 petrol. It sounds faster than it is and economy is sh1te! 30 mpg at most! Traded ours in and got a grand for it and he put it on his forecourt for £1500 which was fair.
Went for a 150 gt tdi golf after that and that rocks!!! Stupidly quick for a diesel and superb economy.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've got a LHD Bora Estate - best car I've had - TDI 115 PD is perfect - v fast and economical - lots of space for family stuff etc. As per earlier comment the Golf seems more desirable so you can pick up a Bora for a bit less. Do it.

Cheers
Keith.
you lucky swine!! there the 'variant' arent they?

If its a deisel 115 would be enough power! I had a 90hp tdi mk4 golf and its very spritely even with a bootful of luggage and the bikes on the roof - it will still pull easily to 80.

The bora and mk4 golf share about 90% of parts.

As someone just said steer clear of the 2.0 petrol - there know as the 2 point slow!

theres even a forum for them!! T: www.uk-mkivs.net Very helpful usually!

If you can get a 130 tdi then you will not be disappointed on power!! although a 115 with a remap is still very healthy on horses!

hope this helps

Mark

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I had a 2.0 sport and as said above the 2.0 litre petrol engine is utter sh**e.

It was 12 months old with 7000 mileswhen we bought it and it was in the dealers every month (no exageration :eek::eek:)

Put up with it for 9 months and couldn't wait to see the back of it :*

2.0 litre petrol engine = :mad: :confused: :mad:

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice one thanks people. One i was looking at was the 2ltr petrol so i think i will look again. Thanks for the advice.
Now on diesel hunt T:

·
Registered
362 Posts
nice cars wanted one myself a while back, they were more expensive than the golf equivelent when new , but as soon as they left the forcourt its value dropped below the equivelent golf weird,
the 1.6 is well underpowered in mine and th emrs opinion, personay id go for the tdi 130 or 150 i think they are the same as the golfs and also have the 6speed as golfs (i think) i test drove a 130 and was quite taken up by the performance ( even though i was driving a supra at the time ) i just liked the power delivery

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes mate the 130 or 150 would be ace, loads of power, 6 speed and 50mpg. Also they are nearly half the price of a golf. Bonus!
(im still looking as we speak) :D

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I had a Mk4 Golf GTi 150 Diesel and it was stupidly quick. I did 80k miles in it and it only actually broke down once - blew the intercooler pipe off! (lots of noise and zero performance). I used to drive it like I'd stolen it. I loved it.

I did borrow a colleagues Bora 150 Diesel. It drove just like the golf but was not quite as quick. In real terms there was very little to chose between them on the road. The Bora did have some nice touches like self dimming mirror, auto wipers and head lights.

Both returned around 45mpg driven hard too. If you can find either go for it

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
i know its not exactly the same but almost

my golf has been reliable apart from 2 small niggles

its a 1.6 petrol and to be honest it goes better than i thought it would
its is def not underpowered

the two problems were:-

1. sunroof

had a smell of damp recently

found the rear drain points for the sunroof just liturally come away

all water when it rained poured through the the back pillars to the floor

very common fault with the sunroofs.

2. mis firing

coil pack was faulty just replaced

think it was just 2 bolts 5 minute job.

if you want a saloon why not try the passat 4motion
2.8 v6 30v 4wd beast of a car.

not to heavy on the fuel either IF you dont floor it
I could get 40mpg out of it.

i used to have one and it was prob one of the best cars i ever had.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I just bought a 51 plate 1.9TDI 115bhp (6 speed) Bora for £1900. It needed a few small things doing such as the water coolant bottle needed replacing due to faulty sensor and there was an electrical problem, the battery kept draining. This was a Faulty headunit. All sorted now.:D
Only used it for a day or 2 but well happy with it and its extremely quick:cool:

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just bought a 51 plate 1.9TDI 115bhp (6 speed) Bora for £1900. It needed a few small things doing such as the water coolant bottle needed replacing due to faulty sensor and there was an electrical problem, the battery kept draining. This was a Faulty headunit. All sorted now.:D
Only used it for a day or 2 but well happy with it and its extremely quick:cool:
Bargain :eek:
See you would never get a golf same spec for that money. Im still looking but gonna find me a gem real soon.
Thanks Bodhi
T:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Just got home from buying a Bora .. Bought a 2006 55 plater 1.9tdi Highline with 37k on clock

Pick it up on Friday, so looking forward to it now!
Sold my Audi A4 Tdi Avant Sport to get it . .. T:H:H:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts