VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

VW bus magazine.....I want a refund.

20K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  2005fredp 
#1 ·
As the title says...
Are we being ripped off as I've just received this months copy & noticed straight away a van I recognise & why do I recognise it so easily? It was featured just 5 issues earlier, yes it's a different write up but using the same pictures that's a bit much!!!:*:*:*

#2 ·
That was probably our van you are referring to, it got featured twice just 5 issues apart, the earlier issue was someone else's story with the wrong photos, our photos, they then ran our story in the last issue with the correct photos. But on the first run which wasn't our story, we appeared at the top on the front cover and got centre pages, yet when it was our story we didn't get a sniff of either!!! The other couple were probably as equally brassed off as us! Plus the mag just seems to be all T5 stuff now with little T4 coverage!! :(

#3 ·
I'm not complaining about them featuring your van as I know how nice yours is as I was lined up next to you at camperjam. As you say it's being filled with T5's & caddy's now & getting a bit repetitive:(

#7 ·
You are defiantly not being ripped off it was a mistake on my part and I apoliges for that. I thought it was only fair to the owner of the bus to have his full feature printed again in all its glory.

That was probably our van you are referring to, it got featured twice just 5 issues apart, the earlier issue was someone else's story with the wrong photos, our photos, they then ran our story in the last issue with the correct photos. But on the first run which wasn't our story, we appeared at the top on the front cover and got centre pages, yet when it was our story we didn't get a sniff of either!!! The other couple were probably as equally brassed off as us! Plus the mag just seems to be all T5 stuff now with little T4 coverage!! :(

Yes it was your van T: I hope you liked the feature when I did get it right. The other couple thought it quite funny it happened and said we all make mistakes and atleast we owned upto it. It will not happen again we have things in place to stop this.

There's 2x T4 and 2x T5 in the latest edition.

A Caddy in there for good measure too.

Perfect balance :*
Thanks we are trying to please everyone.

Why Caddy's at all:* The title is "T4 & T5". I have taken the mag since issue 1 and am now subscribed, but most of the last dozen issues are still sealed in cellophane wrapper.
Must get round to cancelling
Why Caddy's? Good question.

Readers are asking for them since we have started featuring them I have only received 1 email telling me they did not want to see caddy's featured, but plenty asking for them so I listened to them.

The title VWBus T4&5+ was chosen as it allows us to cover lots of vehicles we had to think of the future the + sign allows us to do this the T6 is also out soon.

My email address is editor@vwbusmagazine.com if anybody wants to send me a email to discuss anything or send me a PM on here, or come over and have a chat to me if you see me at any of the shows.

Regards

Jimmer T:T:

#8 ·
I'm a subscriber and although I own a T5 I like to see the other vans too, BUT I would also like to see more stories about how people use their vans, and not just the fancy bits they have stuck on. Lots of road trip stories please T:

I do have a gripe though with the typos throughout the mags - very unprofessional imho. Must be 30+ every single issue. I read quite a few mags and this is the only one where so much bad typos get through :*

#12 ·
Nice to see an explanation although add my name to those wondering why we are seeing more Caddy's . It's T4 & T5 & with limited pages the last thing I want to see is a Caddy . What next a golf ? I have nothing against other V dubs and have many friends will all manner of VWs however they all have their own mags so would rather T4 & T5 be just that . Fully support the request for more owners stories and road trips .

Rant over thanks :ILU:

#13 · (Edited)
Hi all

Fairly new to this forum and waiting for our T5 conversion to be finished (2011 T5 Shuttle having full conversion)

We have taken the VWt magazine for about a year and not missed any, and was about to take out 12 subscription
However went to get the mag a day too early and picked up VWBus instead, what do people think generally is the best one for (ageing weekenders, who will do several festivals each year) with family

We dont need 2 mags monthly as wont do much else to the van once back

Angie

#14 ·
I subscribe to VW T4&5 and recently had my van featured on the wall of fame! I was quite pleased with myself, however prior to the issue going on sale, the editor contacted me and asked for more pix including interior etc as they wanted to feature it in Reader Rides.

Was kinda chuffed and dissapointed at the same time that i'd made an effort and took some good shots only to have two pictures featured and a one line description.

However, to answer your question, i do prefer this mag to the Bus one, although they are pretty similar.

#17 ·
don't think the mag should necessarily show 'wow' vans, personally I like the idea of looking at and reading about vans that are within the range of what is affordable and achievable. don't mind looking at a caddy or two either, think its great having a bit of variation.
I do agree though, that there should be a few more freebies and special offers for readers, too many adds too for my liking.
but over all, I think its a good mag, think your doing a good job.T:

#21 ·
One of them, can't remember if it was Bus or the other one, was touting for such articles a year or so back (with payment!). So I wrote one, sent it in with all the piccies. Didn't hear anything back. Chased them, they said yeah, thanks, got it. Nothing more.

If they weren't going to use it, at least they could have had the courtesy to say so and give reason why (including constructive criticism if it wasn't good enough, or not the appropriate content), I would have been happy to rewrite or try again. But without any feedback I can't be bothered guessing at what they want.

So I'll stick to writing up our trips on our blog, hopefully inspire and give ideas to those who want to go travelling a bit. I certainly get ideas from other peoples blogs (and to be fair, I haven't read any VW related mag for quite a while)

dan
bettybus.wordpress.com (<- cheeky blog drop! )

#20 ·
Both of the mags focussed on later transporters are too full of far too similar vans.
I find the older established mags have more interesting travel articles.
As a scene though it seems to be the case owners fall into the following...
Splits = money n polishing.
T2a = scene mad USA import into shows n patina
T2b = mad for it enthusiasts
T3 = travel
T4 = travel / outdoors or shows
T5 = plastic chrome, rubber band tyres...make you van uniquely look like everyone's

Surprised the modern mags are still going.
Caddy far too small to work as a camper and oh so like a corsa at McDonald's..

#24 ·
not into "blogs" - or mags
tend to put ours straight on here, surprised (& disappointed) more don't. nice to see pics of places we've been or new ideas - providing it's well north of course. I:
unless we have a problem with the van or see a thread where we might be able to help, it's what we search camping & excursions or new posts for

#27 ·
I have subscribed to the mag since it first came out and enjoy flicking through the pages; I have a caravan to camp in because even though I'm a short@rse I need more space. I enjoy seeing what improvements folk do to their vans be it a T4 / T5 or a caddy. So many people get their knickers in a twist about 'the scene' T4 v T5 v T this and that; I don't get it but then I'm not trying to be something that I'm not, or to impress others.

The acid test is would I miss it if it wasn't published; I probably would but like most things in life I'd get over it eventually. Once I've read it I pass my copy over to a mate who's a T4 owner for free. So there I: Rasp:

#30 ·
To be honest was a little disappointed with this months offering. I know it's t4 and t5 bus but at least show one newer van each month, if I see another skull theme t4 interior I think I'll cry. And what's with the huge articles on the shows that show more pictures of people dressed up in fancy dress with a dog dressed up to match? I want to see vans not people reliving their youth. I think I'd like a t5.1 & t6 mag.

I love a good VW mag but I'm starting to favour your competitor more these days.

#31 ·
I remember the time before there were any T4/5 mags before the whole scene blew up.
And i think the guys, who are just dubbers like the rest of us who manned up and started the mags deserve a pat on the back for their continued perseverance trying to get something on the streets that we'll all want to read.

You'll never please everyone but if you don't like it don't read it. Or even better email Jimmer and suggest something you would like to see.

I'm not a huge fan of the vanilla chequebook campers and all the vans with the same layout but different trim. They quite frankly bore me.
I love the built not boughts where the owner has actually come up with clever ideas themselves, one that sticks in my mind is a green T4 that had his kettle and cups all fitted in to a carpetted wall build. Another that mounted his amps behind perspex under the offside window.
Its the ingenuity I love and thats what I look for at a show, stuff that gets me into my workshop to have a go.

So keep up the good work Jimmer and for my tuppence can we see more Readers rides not conversion company ponies..

And badgers..great big badgers....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.