VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Me and my partner just bought a 1994 Caravelle synchro. We are totally new to cars, vans and building so... this should be interesting.

The van currently has 8 seats, and 6 of them are removable. We want to permanently remove the back 3, but keep the row behind the drivers seats for friends/future children.

I want to remove the plastic interior which the van currently has and build a new plywood interior. First of all, is this even possible in this kind of van? On first inspection it doesn’t really look it. Secondly if I was successful in doing this, for the car to pass it’s MOT (the Swedish version, we are Swedish) as a 5 seater car the seat belts must be fully functioning when the back seats are in (when we don’t need the back seats we will take them out for extra space). Can I fix new seatbelts to the new plywood interior? Or if we want it to have 5 seats do we need to leave the original interior with original seat belts? If anyone knows about the Swedish MOT (besiktning) maybe they know if it must be the original seat belts for the car to pass?

Thankful for any replies 😊

·
Registered
57 Posts
The besiktning seat belt test on my caravelle was to pull each belt, and that was that. Granted, I have the original interior in mine so maybe if it looked aftermarket they may inspect further.

The big issue would of course be safety, I wouldn't mess with the belts per say, but removing the belts is straight forward. If you kept the original belt anchors and added plywood instead of plastic, i can't see how anyone would have a problem with it (I do not know though). The plastic trim doesn't have any structural element for anchoring the belts Removing the interior plastic trim is certainly possible. I took all mine out to insulate my van better. Work methodically from behind the driver seat to the back. Most panels pop off. Roof lining slides out backwards.

Skål from Uppsala

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You are correct when you say the plastic trim has no structural role. The seatbelts are bolted to the bodywork. I can’t see any problem running without the trim, as the belts would still work fine. Not sure on Swedish mot, but here I am sure it would pass, but you may have to explain it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts