VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today the mrs popped in to a local surf shop in cleethorpes to get the lads some tee shirts for crimbo,
While chatting to the girls in the shop the lady who owns the shop stated that as of next year no clothing
Manufacturer ,ie salt rock billabong etc,will not be allowed to use vw campers or vw logos on any of there
Clothing due to vw saying so

Don't know if anyone else heard owt

Maybe vw want some pennies for doing it now

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
i was told the same thing by the guy who sells all the flags and poles at the VW shows looking at it from both sides you can see why VW want to stop it as its a massive amount of lost revenue to them but on the other hand it it a massive amount of free advertising and promotion of a great brand name and logo

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
i was told the same thing by the guy who sells all the flags and poles at the VW shows looking at it from both sides you can see why VW want to stop it as its a massive amount of lost revenue to them but on the other hand it it a massive amount of free advertising and promotion of a great brand name and logo
Only really a loss to them if they made surf clothing and flags!!

Maybe they are about to LOL:

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
think it will be hard to control
mainly as interlectual rights are only covered to the vw badge not the image of a t1/or 5 as there the right of the owner of said vehicle
T:

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is a loophole to this kind of thing, again from the mini scene. You can use an image of a vehicle as long as it has a numberplate on it of a real car. Corgi gets away with this with their replicas, same as the people who make code 3 models. I think it has something to do with a general copyright of their image but with a plate on its someones personal property so they own the rights.

Ady

·
Registered
437 Posts
If anyone feels that strongly about this - start a campaign - maybe use the no.10 site and force the debate if a 100,000 people sign up : )

I don't think these marketing people really understand the brand if that is what they are intending to do...

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I think it's fair to say that Volkswagen DO own the copyright to their registered logo and having seen one or two real cr^p garments and the odd pic out there which don't do VW or their product justice, in any way, shape or form, I don't blame 'em. :*

A campaign to no.10 is about as likely to succeed as the fuel protest.

I have models of vans and shirts with the logo and image clearly VW too, but I do get their corporate line.

·
Registered
72 Posts
harley done the same thing a few years back now,they even tried to copyright the sound of the engine!! they failed on that one though LOL:
its just the big corporates showing their muscle & bored accountants trying to keep there jobs *<:)>

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
A lot of companies have images of vans on their shirts - Animal for example - but miss off the VW logo, which I guess avoids copyright issues. I think it's the smaller companies who've been getting away with it. You only have to look at some of the awful shirts etc on eBay to see why they feel they want to protect their brand a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
They do seem to be having a purge on anyone using their logos. It odes seem a bit stupid as many people use it due to brand loyalty and even if a company is making money from it, its not likely to be taking anything from VW as they are unlikely to get into T-shirts, mugs, flags and all the other general tat that ends up being sold with a vw logo on it. Surely no one in vw is stupid enough to think that this does their image any harm at all......at the end of the day I am sure vauxhall would be grateful if they suffered this sort of enthusiasm for the brand.
I read on another forum that Just Kampers had to shut their 'Just Beetles' website as VW had told them they owned intelectual rights etc......I am sorry, but I would have given them the finger and pointed out that beetles have been around for a lot longer than the car that got named after them.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Nowt new about it.

4/5+ years (maybe more) ago VW did the same with garages using the VW/VOLKSWAGEN in their titles/names.

Plenty of stuff on google, theyve been doing it for ages.

On one hand they want to protect name from being associated with ar5e toffee and protect revenue but there again its free advertising/brand promotion etc.

TBH ive never worn stuff with vans n stuff on the front, its gash IMHO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts