VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im thinking of buying a vw crafter! anyone know much about them? such as which one best to get or avoid! any sort of problems to look for etc? also on that note if i do get one then my trusty T4 will be up for grabs! cheers all! Rob. :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol.. why do you say that? only reason im wanting one is that its still a vw and i need that sort of size van now...transit! I: errr no! LOL:

·
Registered
528 Posts
my mate had one for his work, (project manager, delivering gear in etc) it spent more time on the back of aa vans than driving..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
really! wouldnt exspect that eh! mmm i have read a few things about them! im not sure what to do! i really need a bigger van now but to be honest all newer vans now seem to all have there problems!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah even is the same van with just the front being different eh! im reading from topics on google right now and seeing people saying there problematic! mmm really not sure what to do now :* what about LT vans, i know there same again as older sprinters but same engines as T4,s im sure!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had one as a work van a few years ago, was great, couldnt fault it. I think it'd make a great camper, loadsa room, no bad back, full size bed, bog space. And its DUB. Gets my vote. T:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Crafter. Was fast, could carry huge loads with no probs and was quiet. The only design was the bloody badge at the back doors being in the middle, close the wrong door 1st and it'll smash off. That was my fault though. I'd have one but they still quite expensive.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi vented! yeah that looks nice but not what im after, just need it kitted out like my T4 is but with more room in the back! T:
alexcraiggtv- yeah room is what im after, did you have any major running issues with it? also was it the 2.5 109bhp type?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi vented! yeah that looks nice but not what im after, just need it kitted out like my T4 is but with more room in the back! T:
alexcraiggtv- yeah room is what im after, did you have any major running issues with it? also was it the 2.5 109bhp type?
Thats the one. Was really smooth, quiet at 70mph, not bad on fuel and had SOOOOOOO MUCH ROOM in the back. Easily enough room for a proper size bed, bog, even a shower if cleverly thought out I suppose. I loved it, but was a work van, my old boss (and owner) has still got it, still going strong and it gets hammered.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well thats a positive note on that then! lol. oh! what year was it? can you remember? it seems the newer ones seem to have all the probs!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah thats what im reading! one guy has a 2010 van and had nothing but problems with it! crazy eh :eek: whats wrong with vw now then, ive got a few vws, my old 90 spec mk2 golf gti never gives me a prob that i cant fix with a hammer or zip tie! LOL:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
i have a 2.5 109 bhp as my work van its a mwb high roof had it for 2 years not a problem with it as a work horse i have it loaded with tools and a load of timber and racking etc. now the bad bits the batery will go flat if not used for a week or so yes it does go well on the motor way but around town and at over 70 ish it drinks fuel like nothing i have stalled it more in the last 2 years than i have any think else since the mid eightys as the fly by wire pedal is a pain in the back side and if you stall going out of a junction there is a delay on restarting it you can't just flick the key and away you go. it is a big van yes but not something i would want as a daily drive parking is a pain in the back side as it will need 2 spaces in length (mate has the same van and been ticketed for not being in the space as to long) so you can find yourself driving round the block to park it. i am stuck with it for another year and a half as i lease it but i wish i could see the back of it tomorrow

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what year is it? so seems ok then so far. my T4 fly by wire and all seems ok there, but then ive not stalled it! lol... yeah i did think about the parking problem, also ive got a 22 ft caravan that i will tow when we go away! mm that would be fun navigating small roads in devon with something the length of an artic eh! :eek: LOL:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
mine is a 09 i am fitting a in line tuning box tomorrow to up the bhp to 130 and extra tork its designed to improve the drivability and give arond 15% more miles to the galon next door neighbour has had them on his jag and now toyota with great effect so i will see how it goes this week. as you say with a caravan on the back its going to be one big bit of kit it has been reliable the only real problem was from new the alarm going off all the time turned out to be the sensor in the cab

1 - 20 of 34 Posts