VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

So.. I bought myself a Short Wheel Base LT32. 2004. Only 51,000 miles with history

Bit of an impulse purchase as I have no experience of owning a vehicle, and zero knowledge of converting one. :gl

I thought it seemed a decentish height to move around in without the issues of parking a longer van or the price tag of a T4/T5.

So far all I have done is rip out the existing ply lining and remove some dodgy old insulation. I will keep the ply as a template for making new ones later. Although I will have some windows put in so will need to make adjustments.

I messed around in photoshop quickly and this it what i've come up with for a conversion. (If only I could actually make it into a Who framed Roger Rabbit style van!)

The benches down the side will lift up for storage and there will be a removable table in the middle which will act as a joining piece between the two benches to make up a bed. I would like to install a unit with gas hobs (left) and sink (right). And a fridge under the hobs. (not a blooming clue where to start with that though!). I think there is space for a clean water tank directly underneath where the unit will sit on the underside of van.

First things first though.. how do I remove the bulkhead?! I heard I need a spot weld drill bit. The middle of the spot welds that i have to drill out seem to be 5mm. I have only found an 8mm at screwfix. Will this work? http://www.screwfix.com/p/exact-spo... Accessories&gclid=CJ-IiP-th8YCFeISwwoduVgAyg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. But I'm not having much luck with my standard drill bits. These things are only small but they're solid. Any more suggestions or links of where to buy the right drill bit would be really useful.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Standard HSS drill bit is the way to go. T:

As your van is very small, you might want to reconsider the layout so you can swivel both front seats and use this for your "living room"?

I'm not saying have the rears as well, but it makes sense to use up all the space.

·
Registered
285 Posts
YOU make a "pod" for your cooker/sink/fridge.

Smev have combination sink/hob. You need min 2 burners.

Waeco is the way to go for a fridge. Expensive, but 12v so will run off leisure batteries.

My fridge is high up as I don't want to get on my knees to get a beer! :D

Drawers from IKEA... I:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so - I faffed around with a 5mm drill bit for a while and couldn't get the rivets out. The I used a 4.2mm HSS drill bit and they popped out in about 5mins. Bulkhead removed! Suddenly there is some light in the van (and a lot more rattles while driving along).

useful things - decent drill, hss drill bit, eye protection for the tiny bits of metal flying about, and of course tea.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi

I have a swb Crafter ,probabley a similar size to the LT swb , check out my profile albums may be good for some ideas , we are able to sleep across the width of the van witch saves a lot of space on the overall length of the internal area of the van

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice Van! You've managed to put of lot of things in a small space A: Swivel seat are very cool!

I'm a bit too tall to sleep width ways in our van. I travelled around New Zealand with my girlfriend 2 years ago in a rental camper and loved the layout of two benches with a table in the middle because our mates could jump in with us when it rained so I'm trying to replicate it! I hope it works!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next thing I need to do is deal with some rust. :confused:

There is quite a lot of rust on the lip that the door slides across..and more on the underside of the door. Please could someone give me a breakdown of the order in which I should treat this, the best products and how to match the paint colour afterwards?!

There are also a few small rusty holes on the floor of the van where the previous owner drilled the floor in. I presume I should sort these before I lay insulation and floor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorted the small areas of surface rust by scrubbing with Emery cloth and then used a hammerite undercoat 3 in 1 thing. Covered this with a white hammerite top coat. 1st problem solved!

Next, I had a drive down to Poole to see Andy at http://www.aaw-ltd.co.uk to get some windows fitted. In the time it took me to go on a ferry trip around Brownsea island and eat some fish and chips he had installed 5 windows, two of which were openers. I'm really please with the job he did and glad i didn't attempt this myself. The saving would have been negligible and he has a huge amount of experience.

He also cut a hole in the roof for me to fit the Fiamma 28 roof vent at a later point.

Fitting the vent was a ball ache :bhd

I made a wooden frame for the inside of the van which would allow me to clamp the vent in place. Before this I squeezed a mother load of Sikalastomer 710 along the inside recess of the outside part of the vent to attach it to the roof. (I understand this particular sealant isn't permanent - so if the vent brakes for any reason you can easily replace it).
My pint sized friend climbed on the roof while I drilled the screws in from the inside to lock the vent in place. I used the sikaflex 512 on the inside between the van roof and the wooden frame.

That last image looks very neat, it was taken post clear up of the excess adhesive which gets bloomin' everywhere. That said, it's a good sign to have excess sealant around the edges - it should keep the rain out for years to come!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With all the external modifications done, it was time to crack on with the interior. The noise of the panels vibrating while on the road was driving me insane, it was like having Rolf Harris in the back dicking about with a wobble board.

So to rectify this I've been busy covering the panels and wheel arches in Silent Coat. This stuff is the dogs ding dang doolies. Simply cut it to size, tear off the back and stick it in place.

The difference is astonishing, the doors now go thud when closing them and I don't notice the bumps in the road. I used about 30 sheets. Expensive and quite heavy stuff but some things are worth it.

Got me lady on board for the fiddly bits! :jiggy

I used a roller to make sure it was fixed down well..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Moofy.

Awesome to see another guy taking my approach as I've been hoping I wasn't being naive.
I've been driving many years but this is also my first vehicle owner experience. And also just attempting a conversion with no prior knowledge, other than I'm a handy guy generally and build a lot of wooden things.
You've pretty much gone for the exact van I've come to want over all others.
I was thinking the swb be nice to park and drive generally. But quickly noticed minibuses are a little more rare and often more expensive.

Curious how much you paid the Andy guy you mentioned to put your windows in. Beautiful job. Like you say when I've looked at self installation - seems arguably quite expensive anyway.
Maybe a drive to Poole from here might be a bit of an ask. I'm up in Newcastle.
But maybe I'll find myself wanting a journey to test the new purchase.

Enjoying watching your progress man

I'll get a post together when I make some movement on mine should be the next couple of weeks, if I find a nice LT.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,271 Posts
How useful is the double seat in the LT for two people?
I found the double in the T4 pointless for two adults as it was way to narrow to sit in any form of comfort for even the shortest distance.
I did have a 2010 Renault Master and that double was way better, and thinking the LT should be more like that given it is a wider van?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How useful is the double seat in the LT for two people?
I found the double in the T4 pointless for two adults as it was way to narrow to sit in any form of comfort for even the shortest distance.
I did have a 2010 Renault Master and that double was way better, and thinking the LT should be more like that given it is a wider van?
Hi Hoovie,

Yes the van is quite wide and so too are the double seats.. Can sit 3 comfortably up front. I was hoping to get a seat swivel for the double seat but no joy so far.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.