VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are quite a few mountain bikers on here with vans... anyone else going to the Strathpuffer in 2011 ? (see you there Briz...)

Its a 24 hr mountain bike race, just north of Inverness in mid January.... 10am Sat to 10 am Sunday morning....

http://www.strathpuffer.co.uk/home

We are looking after 10 riders... last years winning mixed pair and two teams of 4. My van has been used to take all the kit up and as a workshop/sleeping area for the last two years..... its a good social as much as anything. This snow is great for training too...

Anyone else going ?

Rick

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi Rick

Got 3 teams booked into the race, all should be fun as usual. Still got the studded tyres at the ready.

Going to try and get a set of snow chains for the van soon as we have 2 feet of snow here.

B

·
Registered
510 Posts
Seriously f**k that! I've seen vids and photos from previous years and it's a step too far for me. I've taken part in a few 24hr races before and found the mud bad enough, but snow and ice just doesn't appeal lol.

I have just booked my ferries for a trip to Europe taking in the Passportes du Soleil event though - sunshine and uplifts sounds MUCh more appealing :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do that too, biking in Sierra Nevada and Morocco for the sunshine... probably the biggest challenge for Puffer Teams will be getting there!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I do that too, biking in Sierra Nevada and Morocco for the sunshine... probably the biggest challenge for Puffer Teams will be getting there!
You're probably not far wrong!

The PPduS - what bike have you used in the past for that? We're planning on biking elsewhere in the Alps and possibly into the Dolomites too on the same trip, and not sure whether a 140mm forked steel hardtail (456 summer season) or a 160mm 34lb full-susser would be more suitable. Worried about dying trying to make the effort to cover 75km on my Spicy...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We took an Orange 5 and my Marin Attack Trail full suss for the MTB Tour Mont Blanc, Lake Garda, Morocco and Spain. We have a Spesh Epic and a Cube hardtail too but left these at home... Both go on a plane easily, plus one other bag between us for clothes....

Used these bikes for our Atlas Mountain trip, Morocco. This had three days of 90k / day. Both the Marin and Orange are double and bash (22/36 chainrings), worked fine. More comfortable on the gravel piste and cobbles than a hard tail...

·
Registered
108 Posts
i might go trouble is i have so many other things to do. already entered kielder 100, will do the honc and dusk to dawn again. SSEC and SSWC and SSUK whooo already quite a few events lined up oh and the real ale wobble again T: thinking of trans wales for the year after

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep an eye out on singletrackworld.. quite often people are looking for folk t make up teams...,

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll shall be off to Val d'isere insted, but I am working out the logistics of an Alpine tour next summer. Les Gets/Morzine, La Clusaz, Les Arc, Tignes/Val d'isere and Alp du Heuz.

At least we'll have the van to stay in at Val now camped there in 06 and it was 5 C at night in the summer.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i might go trouble is i have so many other things to do. already entered kielder 100, will do the honc and dusk to dawn again. SSEC and SSWC and SSUK whooo already quite a few events lined up oh and the real ale wobble again T: thinking of trans wales for the year after
Oh sh*t, another singlespeeder LOL:

I fully intend doing SSUK and SSWC next year, but not sure I'll make it over to Belguim for SSEC. I missed everything last year due to one thing and another, but made it to SSUK in 2008 and 2009

·
Registered
510 Posts
We took an Orange 5 and my Marin Attack Trail full suss for the MTB Tour Mont Blanc, Lake Garda, Morocco and Spain. We have a Spesh Epic and a Cube hardtail too but left these at home... Both go on a plane easily, plus one other bag between us for clothes....

Used these bikes for our Atlas Mountain trip, Morocco. This had three days of 90k / day. Both the Marin and Orange are double and bash (22/36 chainrings), worked fine. More comfortable on the gravel piste and cobbles than a hard tail...
Cool, cheers. I reckon it'll be my Lapierre Spicy and the wife's 'Dale Prophet that we'll take along. Comfort over outright speed :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here is the video Stu shot of the 2 teams last year. The start is the drive up in the old team T4. The T5 replaced it although it turned out a little too good to put bikes in so I have picked up a lwb T4 caravelle. If I have time I will carbon wrap it before the puffer, unfortunately the snow is costing me time this week.

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/strathpuffer-24-hour-video-diary.html

Go on you know you want to.

Rick, chains or socks for the van drive wheels as I am struggling this week. Either that or get a set of wheels setup with winter/snow tyres.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Do you know Chris Marquis.... lives in Edinburgh, organised some of the ss comps...?
Nope, don't know that name sorry. I usually go along to SS events with folk based around Stirling - the likes of Callum Wilson, Justian Cross and the man-mountain that is Andrew Wilson (he who won the fattest rider comps at SSWC07 and SSUK08, and got his nips out during the Rollapaluza at SSUK09 :cheers).

And nah, Stu's vid still desn't make me wanna ride the Strathpuffer lol.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now that I would like to see.... if you need another pair of hands I would love to help..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.