VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Father's 1998 T4 1.9 TD ( 98000 miles) will not start from cold without easy start.

She won't start first thing in the morning, then won't start an hour or so later. The engine turns over no problem, she just won't fire up.

This has been going on for around 4 weeks now.

He has taken her to two different mechanics, both say they can find nothing wrong.

We suspected Glow Plugs but the mechanics state that they have had the T4 overnight and tested these.

Father has owned this T4 for 10 years and she has been so reliable apart from on two previous occasions with similar symptoms, new glow plugs solved the issue. Two sets of glow plugs in 10 years isn't bad I suppose.

Are there any other common faults with the 1.9TD ( regarding cold starting ), that are not due to faulty glow plugs please?

Thank You

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, with Easy Start, the engine starts but won't run without the choke being used for the first few minutes.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
My Father's 1998 T4 1.9 TD ( 98000 miles) will not start from cold without easy start.

She won't start first thing in the morning, then won't start an hour or so later. The engine turns over no problem, she just won't fire up.

This has been going on for around 4 weeks now.
Forgot to mention, with Easy Start, the engine starts but won't run without the choke being used for the first few minutes.
you've got a cylinder issue, low compression probably (worn oistons & rings)
get a compression-test done & you'll know for sure (y)

once you start using Ether (easy-start) that should tell you the engine is unwell......

Rich.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Using a choke on a diesel engine???
the 'mecanical' diesel engines in t4's have a 'cold-start' lever, similar idea to the choke on a carburettor'd petrol engine but on the diesel it advances the timing slightly (or is it retards the timing? can never remember...)

Rich.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does it run when you pull out the cold start,mine had starting issues (1.9td) and would only run when cold start was pulled ,turned out the cambelt had slipped a tooth.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine would never start as soon as it got cold changed glow plugs easy cheap job starts first click now any help for ya

·
Registered
117 Posts
Very common issue - check your glow plug relay. the contacts in the fuse box heat up and burn out slightly, so they'll give some amperage to the plugs but not nearly enough for them to work. If you pull the relay out just a bit they may make better contact as a test. You may see little grooves burned into the big relay connectors.

The fix for this is to remove the fuse box entirely, split it open and file down/bend the metal tabs for the relay back together. It's not a difficult job - the plugs only go in one way and the fuse box comes apart easily.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

She is currently at the local garage in storage waiting to be checked over sometime next week.

rc-tech, I will mention this to the mechanics on Monday.

Unfortunately, my father has sadly passed away since I last posted here so I haven't had time to check anything myself.
Should have more time following the funeral on Tuesday.

Will keep you updated if we manage to solve the problem.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts