VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Father's 1998 T4 1.9 TD ( 98000 miles) will not start from cold without easy start.

She won't start first thing in the morning, then won't start an hour or so later. The engine turns over no problem, she just won't fire up.

This has been going on for around 4 weeks now.

He has taken her to two different mechanics, both say they can find nothing wrong.

We suspected Glow Plugs but the mechanics state that they have had the T4 overnight and tested these.

Father has owned this T4 for 10 years and she has been so reliable apart from on two previous occasions with similar symptoms, new glow plugs solved the issue. Two sets of glow plugs in 10 years isn't bad I suppose.

Are there any other common faults with the 1.9TD ( regarding cold starting ), that are not due to faulty glow plugs please?

Thank You

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, with Easy Start, the engine starts but won't run without the choke being used for the first few minutes.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
My Father's 1998 T4 1.9 TD ( 98000 miles) will not start from cold without easy start.

She won't start first thing in the morning, then won't start an hour or so later. The engine turns over no problem, she just won't fire up.

This has been going on for around 4 weeks now.
Forgot to mention, with Easy Start, the engine starts but won't run without the choke being used for the first few minutes.
you've got a cylinder issue, low compression probably (worn oistons & rings)
get a compression-test done & you'll know for sure (y)

once you start using Ether (easy-start) that should tell you the engine is unwell......

Rich.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Using a choke on a diesel engine???
the 'mecanical' diesel engines in t4's have a 'cold-start' lever, similar idea to the choke on a carburettor'd petrol engine but on the diesel it advances the timing slightly (or is it retards the timing? can never remember...)

Rich.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts