VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I know this is a previously asked question but bear with me. I've now got my 'T4 budget' sitting the the bank so can now go off and actually look at vans. I'm looking almost country wide as I'd rather travel to get a nice one than make do with what's knowing around on my doorstep (unless I get lucky). Therefore I'd rather pre-filter what I see as much as possible.

As T4s are long in the tooth these days, I'm thinking 1.9TD over 2.5TDI, as I tend to think with older go simpler. I've always been a banger driver - small and medium size cars with wheezy engines, occasional mini-bus drive with people on board, etc. So I've no idea was a powerful ride even feels like. Will I be likely fine with the 1.9TD? It's gotta be better than some LDV minibus, yes?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hmm, honestly Id go with 2.5tdi if you can.. Td is slow, not amazing on fuel and a lot say troublesome.. Mine was td till it destroyed itself.. Tbh all t4s seem to of gone up in price so if you can get a 2.5tdi get one! If your thinking of converting, that's a lot of weight for the 67bhp td engine to lug around too!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys - I know this is a previously asked question but bear with me. I've now got my 'T4 budget' sitting the the bank so can now go off and actually look at vans. I'm looking almost country wide as I'd rather travel to get a nice one than make do with what's knowing around on my doorstep (unless I get lucky). Therefore I'd rather pre-filter what I see as much as possible.

As T4s are long in the tooth these days, I'm thinking 1.9TD over 2.5TDI, as I tend to think with older go simpler. I've always been a banger driver - small and medium size cars with wheezy engines, occasional mini-bus drive with people on board, etc. So I've no idea was a powerful ride even feels like. Will I be likely fine with the 1.9TD? It's gotta be better than some LDV minibus, yes?
I have a 1.9td that has been converted to a 1.9 TDI golf engine. The old engine was so painfully slow it just drove me mad. I hammered the out of it and it eventually dropped a rod so i TDI converted it. Power now is amazing and it can even overtake.
So to answer your question, If you can find one within your budget get a 2.5 but if you can't get a 1.9 then convert it when you've saved some cash. Saying that some people can live with the sluggish 1.9td but i drive up a lot of hills with a jet ski in my van so need the extra power for that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the first instance I just want mechanically sound as possible and I'll need at least a couple of seats in the back, whether included or something I fit or get fitted. Spartan panel van spec is fine (although glass in the back would be nice) as I can slowly improve it later. What's realistic for a basic 2.5TDI in good drive away mechanical condition, perhaps with a few scuffs and scrapes?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
As an additional iron in the fire , dont forget that all T4,s are not the same ..!! There are variations in several areas .. 800 , s are the light versions , often with short gearbox ratios , designed for mainly urban use . And will struggle with suspension , and motorway cruising with conversion . Other models may be similar . Hence the reason many end up unhappy with performance , etc. Do your homework ..!! If you wish to fit rear seats , you MUST have the body for it , with built-in re-inforced areas , (again , they vary ) or , you are faced with issues for future needs (£££,s) Engine size is not , neccessarily , an indication of suitabilty . for future development .

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,096 Posts
I have a 1.9TD and it is by no means a fast machine, it does get up to legal speeds and beyond, and I have been surprised considerng the quoted power how (relatively) nippy it is. I have done non-stop drives of 300+ miles perfectly ok. The main annoyance is the revs are high for the speed.
If/when I get another T4, I think I would be looking at the 2.5TDi in fact.
Not sure about this, but does the 2.5TDi have a DMF? :* That could be a negative factor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Iv got a td that just had a recon engine when I brought it a few years ago iv fitted a t5 intercooler and richened fuel pump up slightly and wound the boost up to around 13psi put a taller 5th gear in and now it's great on fuel and would give any 2.4 a run for it's money cost little under £500 for the bits to do it and was done about 10000 miles ago so never caused a prob and parts for td and work on are easier than a 2.4 it's a option and your more than welcome to come and have a look as I'm only in Salisbury was to slow before but now at 60mph will pull up any hill without slowing down like it use to.T:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Mines great! Although not stock, it has PP injectors, tweeked turbo, intercooler added and a taller fifth gear. Also decat exhaust, blanked EGR (by way of the intercooler etc), running on Eibach springs and Sachs HD dampers, it handles great. But now it goes very well, pulls where before it crawled and is great to drive.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have to disagree with most! I have a 1.9td and I don't find the performance a problem(and mine is standard) Yes when you get to about 70 it is noisey because of the revs. And yes your not going to set any 0-60 world records. But hey we don't buy these for there speed.

I have recently come from a t5, then a caddy 19tdi and now my t4, and I haven't been disappointed with the performance of the t4.

I guess it depends on what your after, but I like the simplicity of the 1.9.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
nothing wrong with the 1.9td engine just bought one v reg widow van cruised 65/70 back home 255 miles oh and 20k miles came up as I passed taunton how low miles is that fsh 1 owner .

·
Registered
254 Posts
It wasn't the cruising about in my 1.9td that was an issue, it's the fact there's no acceleration.. It's annoying to drive after a while. Driving 300miles on motorway was fine, driving round town up hills, back roads, stopping at lights and accelerating back to speed etc got frustrating. Yeh it was better than my last non turbo, and I could 'live with it' but why should you? Get the right one first time.. Or like has been said conv to golf tdi at a later date.. Might be more costly in the long run though that. My tdi converted t4 drives so well now, 46mpg on my last fill and cruise control is a god send! I don't mind getting in it to drive around town, Infact I make excuses just to take it out!:ILU:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know yeh, it can do, happened in my non turbo that.. wasnt that though. It ran well to be fair, 90k miles only. Loaded up with Jetski and a week of camping stuff round Devon, there was one hill I didn't think it'd be getting up! Night and day between tdi and td for general driving about imo T:

·
Registered
280 Posts
my 1.9 td had 182,000 on original engine when i bought it. So must be ok i guess?

That said, I got it cheap as the bottom end had exploded.

I swapped it to a Golf 1Z tdi engine, and its damn quick. cruises at 70 all day happily and returns 40+mpg on a run.
Mega reliable, and ive had two motorbikes and tools in the back and you cant even tell they are there. The gearing on the t4's are quite loose in comparison to t5's. So weight doesnt seem to be a problem...
Mines a 800 special but has the caravelle gearbox option from factory with a longer fifth.

The only problem mine has is the rear ride level is effected easily due to the light load 800 springs. Easily fixed with heavy weight springs but the plated weight is still low so my insurance is too :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I first bought my 1.9td it must have been the slowest thing on earth due to the fact that nothing was set up correctly a bit of time spent getting it set up right plus decat & egr blank it's supprising just how good it is but it still could do with a bit more & a taller 5th gear

·
Registered
126 Posts
Had my 1.9TD over 18 months. Fully converted in the back; bed, cupboards, etc . Did the boost and fuelling mod after 3-4 months of ownership. This transformed the way it drove generally, could get up hills without dropping loads of speed. It's my daily driver too and handles the 20+ mile a day commute. It's not as fast as our Golf PD130- But I can't make a brew in the Golf T: . Never regretted buying my 1.9TD. Ant

1 - 20 of 33 Posts