VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I was driving my T4 1.9 ABL van in the snow when suddenly the engine stopped. No weird sounds, just the battery light came on and the engine turned off. I tried to start it while rolling but it didn’t work, just normal revs from the starter but no ignition. I stopped next to the road and tried to start but still nothing, just reving at normal speed. I popped the hood but saw nothing strange. I just noticed that the engine was feeling really cool. Although I was driving for about an hour in the snow I could touch it and hold my hand on it and the coolant was the same temperature. Today I had a look at it, still doesn’t ignite. I checked the fuel pump at the engine, since I expected something must be wrong with te fuel line. I revved the engine, it sucked up diesel and diesel came out when I unbolted the injector tubes (also checked that it wasn’t petrol). I also checked the timing since the belt has had good run but it’s timed correctly. Now I’m quite clueless what else it could be?! Does someone have any idea what I should be looking at next?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think these two things are unconnected. Cool running will almost certainly be the thermostat.

The only things that can stop the engine (non-terminally) are fuel and air. My money is on a fuel delivery problem. Is there any air in the supply line to the pump?

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,262 Posts
You say diesel and not petrol, but what "diesel"?
My Polish lodger used to buy fuel from a scrapyard...and went through 3 pumps (same engine, VW Passat 1.9TD) before he realised the fuel was the problem! (Filter, when CUT open, was full of "rubber goo")

How did you check the timing without a running engine?

Check for broken wires, but if fuel is coming out of the pump, it can't be the stop valve.

As Paramedic said, all you need if fuel and air on that engine.....and COMPRESSION!
Can't imagine all 4 cylinders failing at the same time though.....
Timing is the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
327 Posts
On the ABL unit checking the crank/pump timing is easy, remove the belt cover and the timing window on the gearbox rotate to tdc and - hopefully - insert pin into the pump boss. Obviously this doesn't rule out camshaft timing which is a little more fiddly to check, entailing the removal of the cam cover. I suppose since the pulley sits on a taper not a key its possible that it may have moved, but I can't see why it would sit perfectly for however long the belt has been on for then decide to move years later....

Id hope that the state of the belt when the timing cover is taken off would rule out missing teeth.

He really doesn't want a compression problem!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, then I’ll try to bleed the fuel line, see if there’s any air going through the line and check the pump timing, I only checked the camshaft timing yesterday, setting the engine to TDC and looking through the window at the transmission, it was fine. The fuel is just from a regular gas station on the road so I can’t imagine anything to be wrong with it. Also since there’s fuel coming out from the inlet pipes I don’t think it’s clogged up (although I don’t know how much fuel should be coming out). Could it be possible that a certain amount water has somehow entered the system somewhere and now keeps the fuel from igniting? And if so, how would I check for it and get it out? The glow plugs are sitting in an almost impossible to reach place, is that my only easiest way of opening the cylinders for checking water and to measure compression?

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,262 Posts
Blocked airbox?
The foam sound damper (moss) in the wing has been known to collapse and block the intake pipe.

Someone else on the forum once found a dead RAT blocking the pipe!

Water is heavier than diesel, so any water should be in the bottom of the filter....have you drained it?

·
Registered
327 Posts
If there was water coming through instead of fuel it would hydrolock. If you have a big enough leak leak to reduce fuel pressure sufficiently to stop it you would normally smell the fuel under the bonnet and in the cab. You will see the air in the clear pipe leading to the pump. A blocked filter might also be the issue, just not enough fuel coming through to run it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The airbox is fine! Fuel filter has only fuel coming out from the drain. I can’t find how you could bleed air out of the fuel pump and system though...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Its self bleeding. Its designed to be cranked until the air is purged, but your starter wont like this. Might be worth trying to tow start it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm alright, now I found this video:
where someone cranks the engine with the fuel inlets cracked open and the fuel comes out flying, which I tried as well but it was nowhere close to the video. It just got a bit wet after cranking for about 5 seconds, just a tiny drop of fuel came out. So I guess I’ll have to look into the fuel pump. Any tips regarding this next adventure?

·
Registered
225 Posts
When was the fuel filter changed ?I dont see in your post that you know it is clear .They tend to get overlooked .You may be getting fuel dribbling from the drain but if blocked it may not be getting through to the pump .if it has not been changed recently ,change it ,and fill it up with fuel so the pump gets an immediate supply on cranking .It is one of the possibilities you should elimlnate first .Diesel (or rather water at the bottom of the tank) can grow a black bacterial slime which can block filters .Saw a lot of it in the tanks of boats I used to service .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts