VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed recently that my 1998 1.9tdi (professional conversion) seems a little down on power? I have a quality boost gauge fitted and normally (before the power loss) when the turbo goes to full boost it shows about 17 psi and then this backs off to about 15 psi. The gauge doesn't do this anymore and the turbo goes up to just under 15 psi but not beyond. All hoses seem good? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
have you scanned for fault codes?

so, have you now got a copy of vcds & lead or a generic code-reader?

Rich.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there and thank you for your reply. I have a lead and it came with a CD which I bought off ebay months ago. On the lead it says KKL Vag-COM. I haven't installed it yet on my laptop yet. Is this straightforward? Is it easy to use?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts
Better to download the software direct from RossTech...FREE. (And latest version.)
If you want to do timing though, you'll need to pay the $99 fee to register it.
It's the same software on your CD....3rd party can copy and then "SELL" it, but you still need to register for the full functions.

·
Registered
425 Posts
can you give a rough idea of cost and recommendation of who did the conversion ? it something I have been thinking of doing......

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you give a rough idea of cost and recommendation of who did the conversion ? it something I have been thinking of doing......
Hi there. Mine was done about 8 years ago by MV Engineering in Telford. Highly recommended. They have a Facebook page.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I now have VAG com on my laptop and the correct lead. Can anyone explain what I have to do? Is it self explanatory? I guess the engine has to be running to pick up any faults? Is there a guide how to do this?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Connect the lead to your diagnostics port on the van, (should be under the dash, driver's side, just above the throttle pedal).
Connect to your laptop, power up the laptop. Switch your ignition ON, but do not start the engine. Double click the VCDS icon on your desktop.
You ideally need to enter your vehicle type, (which will be a series of letters/numbers. These are part of your chassis number.).
VCDS will then ask if you want to auto scan, (or something like that, it's a while since I last used VCDS). Just let it auto scan, which takes around 5 minutes ish.

Best thing really is to go on the Ross Tech website & read the online manual. If it's the first time you have used/connected VCDS to your van there's a few steps you need to complete before you scan it, but it's all very straight forward.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts
Read The Manual....1st step.
Not sure where you're OBDII port is.....under the steering shroud on mine.
Connect it up, boot the laptop, when you have VCDS running, turn on the ignition.
Select a coms port (1-4) and try each one until you get a connection.
After that.....follow the on-screen intructions.......and get lost!?!?!?
Back to the manual.....

Also note, better readings are obtained when the engine is up to temp.
If you want to do timing checks, you'll have to pay the $99 to register it.....the best money I ever spent!

Read the online manual.....and then again......print it out if you can (preferably at work using their ink/paper....oops), but either way, it's worth it.
Worth more than reading whatever cr*p or anyone else comes out with anyway regarding this wonderful bit of kit.....we all have different ideas about how to use it.....and never remember what we did the last time!!!! (At least I don't :eek: )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts