VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been having a lot of problems with the oil pressure in my t4. To start with I changed the clocks to see if that would stop the red light.
Then I replaced both sensors.
Then I replaced the oil pump.
Then I replaced the oil breather cap.
Then I put a oil pressure guage in.
And every time I start it up the oil pressure guage goes over 100psi.
I've also replaced the oil 3 times and the oil filter 3 times as the pressure breaks the oil filter and all the oil comes out.
Any ideas what can be wrong or am I over looking something. And I've checked the engine number and it's still the original one. It's only done 166000 so it should be ok for a few thousand more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's an oil non return valve somewhere in the oil galleries after the oil filter. perhaps that's become blocked or jammed?

I have no idea where it'd be on the 1.9d though. Might be in the oil filter housing or perhaps screwed into the block with a pressure switch coming out of it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two oil sensors one is on the block and the other is on the oil cooler with the oil filter. I could replace the oil cooler but as the filter gets hot and has oil coming out. I guess it's not blocked.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is no serviceable oil pressure valve on these engines built in oil pump and oil filter has a regulator.
What weight of oil are you using?
Have you been able to take pressure readings at both head and oil cooler?
Is the pressure imeadiately peaking or is at at certain revs/speed/length of time?
If the pressure is blowing the filter off I've only every heard of that when a donut has put the head gasket on in the wrong orientation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using the mineral oil.
The oil pressure is when I start it up it's goes over 100psi then after about 20 minutes it will drop below 10psi.
ATM I've taken the oil pump back out and the cooler and filter looking at what can be wrong. But still can't see anything.
I've cleaned it all off with petrol and it all looks ok.
But it looks like it might have to be a replacement engine which I don't want to do.
Also does the engine come out the top or from underneath

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi all. I've been having a lot of problems with the oil pressure in my t4. To start with I changed the clocks to see if that would stop the red light.
Then I replaced both sensors.
Then I replaced the oil pump.
Then I replaced the oil breather cap.
Then I put a oil pressure guage in.
And every time I start it up the oil pressure guage goes over 100psi.
I've also replaced the oil 3 times and the oil filter 3 times as the pressure breaks the oil filter and all the oil comes out.
Any ideas what can be wrong or am I over looking something. And I've checked the engine number and it's still the original one. It's only done 166000 so it should be ok for a few thousand more.
OK you described what you have done about the problem, what had led to this, what did you notice? had any work been done recently on the engine?
Don't know if its possible but could sensors have been screwed in to far and caused gallery blockage. Problem to me is the initial high followed by a distinctly low pressure. What sort of revs are you at when getting these readings.
I'm guessing the new oil pump had an impact, what was it? sometimes new pumps have protective plastic blanks, they did get removed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It all started with the red flashing light of death.
Don't have a rev counter on the van.
I don't know about putting the sensors in to far but I'll check.
When I replaced them I put te in as far as they would go.
I put the new oil pump on and the psi went through the roof lol. Just blew the oil filter casing open.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Is 100psi at tickover ? or when driving? same Q for 10psi

Might be worth checking the oil pump part numbers? if you have old pump should be a part number in the molding and If you have receipt for new one hopefully that has part number also.

What grade is the oil 20/50 or something else?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 100psi is at start up and then drop to 10psi on idle.the oil pump has 2 numbers one on the top and one on the under side.
I was told it might be the oil pump pressure release valve not working.
The oil pump has got this number on top 026 115 109B
And the oil is triple qx 15w-40.
Many thanks

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Seems to be a rule of thumb for 10psi per 1000rpm on warm engine. PSI Normally higher when cold so seems odd that filter is bursting as that suggests its breaking at an almost valid pressure.

Did a search on part number you quoted and it seems to be listed against a number of engines and seems to come with a number of differences. Some suggestion that the number is a component number for a part of the pump and there will be a part number for the whole assembly; I guess not in the casting as that would be to useful. Differences seem to be :-
- three different outlet sizes
- different drive shaft design
- different drive shaft length
see post #87 at http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?197527-4-cyl-big-block-oil-pumps-how-many-versions-FAQ-added-p2-Updated-p4/page4

I'm guessing your engine is an ABL and that does not seem to be listed for that pump. So it might be possible you don't have the right pump, but I don't have access to full parts listings or anything like that, so best to do your own checking.

You could put your VIN into this site and see what it suggests http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/TR/year/1995/drive_standart/163/hg_ug/130/subcategory/130010/part_id/3686606/lang/e

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. I've checked the part numbers and ordered a new one.
Also got a power steering pump and a new alternator so I'll update when it's all fitted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a update.
All put back together now. The steering is all fixed and working.
The red light still comes on when the revs drop down.
So I've changed the oil pump. Both oil sensors. Oil and filters there times.
So I'm at a loss as what to do next.................

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
My guess would be you may have the wrong oil filter housing. When I converted my van from 1.9TD ABL engine to TDI there was a restrictor that I had to take from the TDI oil filter housing and insert into the ABL one I was using on my van. This restrictor keeps the pressure to the turbo lower so it doesn't blow seals. Point being there are different oil filter assemblies for different cars that no doubt fit but may be different internally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts