VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,im wondering if anyone has had this problem or can help.Ive got a vw t4 2.5tdi 102.Its got 136,000 on the clock and drives real well.I notice when im driving i get a funny smell like burning oil or fumes in the cab, ive checked as best i can and i cant see an oil leak (im not technical minded). I fitted a new pollen filter thinking it may help but it hasnt.Any help would be great. cheers john.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
If it has got the housing check the seal and make sure both clips work. Mine only had one clip so it wasn't sealing properly so was getting some fumes in the cab

·
Registered
645 Posts
I sometimes get this in my T4 too. Mine is a 2003 exAA 2.5tdi, and it has the pollen filter present and fitted right, as well as the housing being clipped into place properly. I replaced the pollen filter a while back, and that improved things a little. Most of the time it is okay, but if I am sat in traffic for a while, or stop the van for 10 minutes then go again, I get a waft of hot oily type smell in the cabin....

Andy

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've heard that the 'corrugated' pipe from exhaust manifold to EGR valve can be susceptible to developing leaks which could cause additional fumes under the bonnet. One way to fix would be to blank both ends of this pipe (or remove completely) Does the same job as EGR blank but stops any exhaust gases getting into a troublesome weak spot.

Worth a try?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have blanked off my EGR actually, although I can't remember which end of the flexi pipe I blanked off.... I think it was the EGR end, so I'll order another plate and gasket and seal off the other end to see if it makes a difference. Cheers for the tip though :)

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts