VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After getting rid of our 1.9td 1997 vw t4 over a year ago, we're on the hunt for another.

We have found one that we really like but unsure of whether it's worth what they are asking for it.

It's a 2003 88bhp vw t4 2.5tdi, it has 168K on the clock. Part service history (not much), belt been done last year along with water pump.
He's asking £5000 for it.

Is it worth this?

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I got my 2.5TDI ACV 1999 model in December 2014, already converted to a campervan by the previous owner. I only paid £4,750 for it.

It is ex AA so is really good. But I wouldn't sell it for less than £6,000 now and it can only go up.

I am NOT selling it, by the way

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!!

Love the dog!

Ho many miles did it have on it if you don't mind me asking? IS 167k high milage?

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,045 Posts
Hi all,

After getting rid of our 1.9td 1997 vw t4 over a year ago, we're on the hunt for another.

We have found one that we really like but unsure of whether it's worth what they are asking for it.

It's a 2003 88bhp vw t4 2.5tdi, it has 168K on the clock. Part service history (not much), belt been done last year along with water pump.

Is it worth this?

Service History is overrated (It's history!). What havs been done to it in the last say 4 years - that will encompass just about any part that would be a service part (brakes and fluids) and what is the MOT like? Any advisories that look worrying? (Brake pipes coorrosion, Steering, etc).
I would say £5,000 is not a bad price if the bodywork is solid and you are not looking at having to repair rusty arches.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks for the reply!!

Love the dog!

How many miles did it have on it if you don't mind me asking? IS 167k high milage?[/QUOTE]

Mine had 192,000 on it when I got it, now 197,291

The photo with Keira, the dog, is on Hayling Island, you can see the beach huts reflected in the window.

The van needs a cam belt change in July, which is going to cost a fortune but otherwise, it is all OK. Might have to have a bit of paintwork done sometime.

So depends on the condition of the van you are looking at and what it has in the way of camper conversion etc.
I like the fact that mine is fairly standard, not messed with. Mine is the 102bhp ACV engine. Being ex AA, they bought the ACV KOMBI because they are quite at home on motorways and can tow. The ACV has a higher ratio 5th gear so it is only revving at about 2500 at 60 mph..The 88bhp TD with a blue I.. is good, so I hear but it will rev higher on the motorway. I quite often go on the motorway. But I knew absolutely nothing about T4s when I bought it, it was just good luck that I got a good one and only 8 miles away from where I lived. bought it from an ebay classified ad. I don't do mechanical things, so it was important, for me, that it was already a camper.

The one you are looking at is a lot newer, check what the VED rate is on it, it might be more or less, mine is £235 but it all changed around 2003

It should be a lot more powerful than your old 1.9

I have a car as well.(Honda Jazz)

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Service History is overrated (It's history!). What havs been done to it in the last say 4 years - that will encompass just about any part that would be a service part (brakes and fluids) and what is the MOT like? Any advisories that look worrying? (Brake pipes coorrosion, Steering, etc).
I would say £5,000 is not a bad price if the bodywork is solid and you are not looking at having to repair rusty arches.
Service history for my car. Last service by VW was done at 200,000 km. Since then all service work has been done by myself. I have replaced brake discs and ball joints. I get no error code and the car starts and runs well. I take care of the car so it does not rust and surely this must be better than any authorized service done by VW? I dont get the typical rust spots in the spring and throughout the winter I rinse the car and brake discs with a pressure washer just to change the dirt and salts.
The car as done almost 285,000 km now. My MOT tests have gone through without issue twice in 2012 and 2014.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
If the Paint is excellent and minimal rust yes people will pay that kind of money,i have a 2003 longnose low miles selling for £7k
they are getting hard to find so prices reflects this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I paid 7.5k for my 1.9td 167k full service history and have put another 1k into it making it right. came with a kyham awning and plenty of gear.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
If the Paint is excellent and minimal rust yes people will pay that kind of money,i have a 2003 longnose low miles selling for £7k
they are getting hard to find so prices reflects this.
Its whats under the excellent paintwork which is worrying. In a country with no anti-rust treatment history, I would be very careful about paying so much for a 20 year old car. Bells should be ringing f the car has been repainted lately, say under a year ago.
The salting of the roads will eat any car if not protected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its worth what you'd pay for it I suppose !! As a complete bencmark the other way, I paid £2340 for an 02 plate van with windows and audi alloys, lowered, boarded out, audi TT leather from seats etc etc. Few scabs here and there but nothing major, 210,000 miles but drives superb . 2.5 TDI . probably wants around £500-600 throwing at it with touch ups, so by all acoounts sounds cheap compared to others, but I thought it was a fair and correct price .

·
Bercow fan club
10,221 Posts
Hi all,

Is it worth this?

In a word no !

You can get a decent well looked after one for that money.

Get one that's got a documented history and save yourself the costly repairs that come from neglect...

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
A standard van for 5k?? :eek:

Age irrelevant but even if it is an '03 so one of the last but that's strong money :*

Rich.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I paid £6k for my 888 special X pack,already carpeted and got curtains,I've had clutch and dmf done front discs and pads,it's only a kombi at mo but it runs sweet as a nut and it flies,it's been remapped and I've had fuel pump timing set up properly now.

T4s are holding there value now,if it's ticking your boxes then it's worth it imo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts