VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vw t4 800 special 1.9td abl engine i am looking to change the engine and i have been offered a vw golf 1.9td pd engine, 53 plate car. And im looking for some advice what sort of alterations would i need to make my van. I.e engine mounts wiring loom and cdi, if anyone can tell me some tecinqual advice or shares some past experince in try to change the engine over
also would i be able to you my van gear box or would i have to use the golf box, would the prop be the same?

Many thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you do a google search for t4 engine swap you will finds loads of info on fitting the 1.9 tdi engine from a mk3 Golf but next to nothing on fitting the pd engine and the reason being is its pretty straight forward to fit the tdi but areal pain to fit the pd.The main problem is that the t4 engine is fitted tilting forward and bits like the sump manifolds and gearbox are modified to suit and thats why the 1.9 tdi swap is so popular as these bits will fit with little or no modifications. The other reason is that the electrical systems are also very similar whereas the mk4 system is very different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know the engine code of what engine is straight forward to fit and cheers for your help

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have a look in the t4 engine and gearbox section every thing you will need to know and there's probably a good few hours worth of reading on there to keep you busyT:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts