VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been reassembling my van after having the head overhauled. I have followed all of the threads on here relating to setting up the belts, cam and fuel pump but unfortunately my van still won't fire.

The van has been tinkered with before and it is possible that the fuel pump may be out of adjustment from stock.
My question is does anyone know where i can get the gauge to check the fuel pump position or have one i can borrow in the Portsmouth area to get the van back on the road where it belongs?

Fingers crossed someone can help

Chappers
(VW t4 2.5tdi AJT 88 BHP 52 Plate)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Thought I had read a page on this site for basic set up just using markings on the various components which should be good enough to get it running so that timing can be done with VCDS.

Sorry do not have link to page but will have a browse.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Got this issue on my housemates AEL, when everything is on the marks, it won't run.

Check the cam/crank first, if it's been apart before, tdc may not be where its marked, use a rod down the heater plug hole and check tdc is where it says.

To get the ael running I just kept rotating the pump, tooth by tooth, until it fired. Took ages. Wish there was a way to tell with Vcds, but I couldn't figure it out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply,

I had followed the instructions you posted to the letter (had them printed off already.)
Like D-9 everything is perfectly lined up and has been double checked by others. I think the fuel pump pulley is not in the right position relevant to the pump internals, and would really like to get hold of the tool (numbered 15) on the diagram (post #38) to make sure I put it back to where it should be.

Does anyone have this tool local to Portsmouth that I can borrow or know where I can buy it (want to buy the right one if I can't borrow one).

Thanks for your help so far 👍

Chappers

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Does anyone have this tool local to Portsmouth that I can borrow or know where I can buy it (want to buy the right one if I can't borrow one).

Thanks for your help so far 👍

Chappers
As you have discovered, these engines do not start when the pump marks are aligned ~ the marks are there just as a primary setup point before you use tool VW3133 which is now available on Ebay. You can also use the back rod on a digital vernier caliper (cheap from Machine Mart) ~ not as accurate but it will get you started again.

Both methods require removal of the brake pump ~ if the pump rod is under tension the engine is not at TDC :ILU:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I found my pump needed advanced past the markers to get it to fire. If it is all at TDC and the pump is anywhere near in the right place you should feel resistance in the pump pulley. It will want to settle it a particular point. I loosened off my cam pulley and rotated the pump pulley anti clockwise about 10mm and got it to fire. It was way to advanced at this point. It'll start easier advanced than retarded and you can use vag-com to fine tune.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Got this issue on my housemates AEL, when everything is on the marks, it won't run.

Check the cam/crank first, if it's been apart before, tdc may not be where its marked, use a rod down the heater plug hole and check tdc is where it says.

To get the ael running I just kept rotating the pump, tooth by tooth, until it fired. Took ages. Wish there was a way to tell with Vcds, but I couldn't figure it out.
The AEL? is that the 140BHP 2.5 tdi as fitted to the C4 Audi A6? The timing is adjusted on them by rotating the pump isn't it? On the ACV it was done by the cam pulley position. A lot more tricky to work with IMHO.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies, all of which are really helpful. This is a massive leap from my experience working on air cooled flat fours.
Thanks for naming the tool, I have a machine mart just round the corner which helps. The turning of the cam pulley makes a lot of sense too, fingers crossed will get the old girl firing soon.

Thanks again,
Will let you know how I get on

Chappers

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The AEL? is that the 140BHP 2.5 tdi as fitted to the C4 Audi A6? The timing is adjusted on them by rotating the pump isn't it? On the ACV it was done by the cam pulley position. A lot more tricky to work with IMHO.
Yep its the 140bhp audi engine, you have a few degrees of movement in the pump to fine tune the timing while the engine is running. Co adjustment is done by loosening the rear cam pulley and rotating the pump in relation to the cam. How does the ACV work? I assumed it was the same as the AEL in question had an ACV head for a few years.

Eitherway, the message was that its not unheard of for the marks to be wrong!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yep its the 140bhp audi engine, you have a few degrees of movement in the pump to fine tune the timing while the engine is running. Co adjustment is done by loosening the rear cam pulley and rotating the pump in relation to the cam. How does the ACV work? I assumed it was the same as the AEL in question had an ACV head for a few years.

Eitherway, the message was that its not unheard of for the marks to be wrong!
The ACV pump doesn't rotate. Timing is done (at least for me with vag-com) by moving the cam pulley a few mm in either direction.

Timing marks can be out on older engines as you say, many of us never really know what someone else has done in the past. On an Audi A4 I found the timing mark on the flywheel to be 180 degrees out. I think the head must ahve been off at some stage. that took a bit of figuring out at timing belt change time.

To the OP, have you removed the cam cover (rocker cover)? No.1 piston is at the timing belt end. With the flywheel marker at TDC both cam lobes should be pointing up. This can be used as a quick guide. I use this to find roughly where tdc is before looking for the flywheel marker, saves a bit of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts