VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some help needed if possible!? Just got a swb T4. 1997 with the 2.4 engine ( engine code AAB ) the van has been off the road for the last 2-2 half years! It’s not been started at all in that time! The oil is clean and up to the correct level, I put a battery on it this morning and cranked it over, it turns over nice and free but did not fire! I tried spraying it with brake cleaner and it does try to start! Going to change the fuel filter, put some fresh diesel in it, and possibly check the glow plugs! But is there anything else I would need to do? TIA 👍

·
Registered
69 Posts
You could check while cranking that diesel is reaching the injectors by slackening each in to get a little spurt of diesel .It should go then .If you have the glow plugs out you could squirt a little oil (only a little or you could lock it hydraulically )to seal the rings in the bores and increase compression .Only a little bit of oil though ! Good luck !

·
Registered
69 Posts
Remember you must fill the filter with the fresh fuel with a funnel when you refit it .It cant pull it up to fill the filter at least not without flattening the battery .Also it would be doubly good to check fuel at the injectors as that would get rid of stale fuel in the pump and lines .

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,499 Posts
Also, IF you have to crank and crank, only do it for 1 minute and then wait 10 mins for the starter to cool down!
It's "trying" to get rid of something well over 2kw of heat when cranking.

Diesel is not as bad as petrol for ageing, but if moisture has got in anywhere, there is a "bug" that can grow in it!
(Fairly common for marine diesels....marine diesel often has an additive to slow it down, but it still "grows" after enough time.)
Consider that most military establishments have containers of diesel "hidden away" in various locations....normally it never "goes off".

Another thing to consider is....has it ever been run on veg' oil (common for that engine)....THAT will soon turn to sludge (almost jelly).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember you must fill the filter with the fresh fuel with a funnel when you refit it .It cant pull it up to fill the filter at least not without flattening the battery .Also it would be doubly good to check fuel at the injectors as that would get rid of stale fuel in the pump and lines .
So to update slackend the fuel lines to the injectors tried cracking but after a couple of turns the starter motor has given up! Looked on eBay and they’re listing the same starter motor for the 1.9/2.4and 2.5 engine! A friend of mine is breaking a 1999 golf 1.9 TDI, was wondering if this would fit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, IF you have to crank and crank, only do it for 1 minute and then wait 10 mins for the starter to cool down!
It's "trying" to get rid of something well over 2kw of heat when cranking.

Diesel is not as bad as petrol for ageing, but if moisture has got in anywhere, there is a "bug" that can grow in it!
(Fairly common for marine diesels....marine diesel often has an additive to slow it down, but it still "grows" after enough time.)
Consider that most military establishments have containers of diesel "hidden away" in various locations....normally it never "goes off".

Another thing to consider is....has it ever been run on veg' oil (common for that engine)....THAT will soon turn to sludge (almost jelly).
Starter motor was not the best to start with but I did give it a break in between cranking it ( while I started stripping out the poor excuse for a camper/day van interior.) but unfortunately the starter motor has given up! A friend of mine is breaking a golf TDI 1.9 and has said I can have the starter motor. Do you know if they’re the same? As they’re listed on eBay for 1.9/2.4and 2.5 all for the same starter motor?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,499 Posts
Probably the same....and don't worry if it has a different number of "teeth".....there are 2 versions (10 and 11 ?) but the spacing is correct for the flywheel.
Also, some have a longer shaft...that sits into a bearing on the engine, some have a larger front case with a bigger bearing already fitted.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Its a good bet they are the same motor .Just compare them when you have the fried one out of the van .You do have to be careful not to keep cranking .The amount of heat is huge and they have no cooling mechanism as they are only intended to run for a few seconds at a time .Another help (very old school) is a bit of heat from say from a hair drier .into the air intake ,just to aid that first combustion . Going back fifty years ,used to start tractors i n winter with a burning diesel news paper held near the intake .Often the engine would eat the paper if it started! Keep us posted !Try to avoid using easy start type ether products though as they can cause damage so it will never start .Also if the the old motor was tired it may not have had enough speed to get the combustion going .Yet another help would be to drain the oil ,warm it up in a tin on the stove ,put it back in, so that you have less drag ,more revolutions ,more speed ,better chance of combustion .Fuel ,heat ,plenty of revolutions ,all at the same time will give you the best chance .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a good bet they are the same motor .Just compare them when you have the fried one out of the van .You do have to be careful not to keep cranking .The amount of heat is huge and they have no cooling mechanism as they are only intended to run for a few seconds at a time .Another help (very old school) is a bit of heat from say from a hair drier .into the air intake ,just to aid that first combustion . Going back fifty years ,used to start tractors i n winter with a burning diesel news paper held near the intake .Often the engine would eat the paper if it started! Keep us posted !Try to avoid using easy start type ether products though as they can cause damage so it will never start .Also if the the old motor was tired it may not have had enough speed to get the combustion going .Yet another help would be to drain the oil ,warm it up in a tin on the stove ,put it back in, so that you have less drag ,more revolutions ,more speed ,better chance of combustion .Fuel ,heat ,plenty of revolutions ,all at the same time will give you the best chance .
Thanks for the very helpful advice!👍 once I’ve replaced the starter motor I’ll put your advice into practice. I’ll keep you updated! Thanks again👍

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yet another old trick .If you have another vehicle running and have it wired with jump leads to the subject vehicle ,the drop in voltage (speed) when you operate subject starter will be avoided and you will get a higher cranking speed and less heat in the starter motor, as it is declining voltage,giving more current , that leads to more heat, and chance of burn out .But even so no more than ten seconds at a time .If you try all these things in the prescence of injected fuel (checked at injectors ) you have every chance :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts