VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have taken on a T4 project for my sister in law (well my father in law has and i'm just helping a bit when I can) which is going well. Its a good base to work with. A 2001 1.9TD with 130k on the clock. The odd bit of surface rust but everything else seems solid.

Our main problem is the accelerator cable is not working well. Foot to the floor and then it doesnt come back up again in a hurry, just slowly takes its time! Anyway VW in their wisdom has discontinued this part and you cant seem to get an equivalent anywhere. So we bought one from heritage parts that looked very similar. When we got it, it doesnt have any electrical connections as the old one does. They have said its linked to the EGR. No from what ive found out - it doesnt have an ECU on this model so by unplugging the connectors shouldnt have any real effect? All we need to do is blank off the EGR? Can anyone help us here

thanks Mikey

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Mikey, the EGR system consists of the cable switch & a switch on the fuel pump throttle vane, these control a vacuum solenoid. Fit blanking plates to the EGR & plug the vacuum hose. You'll probably find you can cure the old cable by oiling (hang it up, spray oil in the top & let gravity do its stuff).

HH

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
This is what this place is all about 👏.
So with the cable re-oiled you can probably get away with sending that pedal back Mikey and save them pennies for something else 👍
So wheres the pics of this new project? :geek:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There she blows!
Is that a longnose? Seems quite a bulbous bonnet but may just be the angle of the pic? Got a shot from the front?
No she’s just a short nose, I think it’s the angle. Here’s one from the front. So far we’ve replaced the windscreen wipers, got the rear wipers working, currently putting on my old Davenport wheels with hub adapters which look great. Should finish that today

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
No she’s just a short nose, I think it’s the angle. Here’s one from the front. So far we’ve replaced the windscreen wipers, got the rear wipers working, currently putting on my old Davenport wheels with hub adapters which look great. Should finish that today
Oh yeah, tbh I did start to doubt myself after looking again at the headlamps. But thanks for the confirmation (y)
You planning on just running just as a van or camping her up a bit?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, tbh I did start to doubt myself after looking again at the headlamps. But thanks for the confirmation (y)
You planning on just running just as a van or camping her up a bit?
My sister and law has 2 small kids and the plan is to convert to use as a camper. Nothing elaborate but enough to get by. Father in law is taking it on!
pic with wheels now on.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the cable went back on but not as much as an improvement as we hoped. The pedal at least now returns back up to position in a respectable time but it does still feel a bit sticky. We didnt completely remove it as the MOT is due Wednesday so didnt want to pull it apart too much but maybe the whole cable has to come out as it didnt seem to get any oil through to the pedal end. Stuck in the rubber gromit maybe?? The gromit didnt want to come out easily hence why we didnt remove the whole cabe. We still had it up vertical from the engine bay but maybe ot enough to get through the rubber housing

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well the cable went back on but not as much as an improvement as we hoped. The pedal at least now returns back up to position in a respectable time but it does still feel a bit sticky. We didnt completely remove it as the MOT is due Wednesday so didnt want to pull it apart too much but maybe the whole cable has to come out as it didnt seem to get any oil through to the pedal end. Stuck in the rubber gromit maybe?? The grommet didnt want to come out easily hence why we didnt remove the whole cabe. We still had it up vertical from the engine bay but maybe ot enough to get through the rubber housing
To add to what the lads said, I had the exact same issue, pedal was sticking down and a noticeable delay in returning, fully removed it from the van, fully oiled it, it was handy to spray in and then slide the cable back and forth in order to coat the inside of the rubber gaiters, popped it back in and all good, also to note you can adjust the wire tensions down near the fuel pump, I did this too as there was a good bit of slack on the wire which as you can imagine with this engine you need all the throttle movement you can get!

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,020 Posts
One MAJOR thing......what oil did you use?

I no longer know what is around in UK (I left 16 years ago), but the old 3-in-1, was really good for bowden cables.
IF you have used WD40....just forget it.....it rots plastic (the sheaf), lasts about 2 weeks and solidifies into something like butter!

If you're doing bowden cables....go to a bike/motorcycle shop and see what they recommend.

Halfords (40 years ago!) would have been able to say exactly what to do......they would also have been able to make a new cable for you.
These days........it's just a "car accessory shop, that also sells bikes" ! :(

Used to be Halfords in Leeds (one of the 1st)....TWO floors dedicated to bicycles....now it's just an company selling as much cheap stuff as they can.
Bit like Haynes Manuals..........printed on re-cycled toilet paper, and (if you check) re-cycle loads of the OLD threads on this forum!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One MAJOR thing......what oil did you use?

I no longer know what is around in UK (I left 16 years ago), but the old 3-in-1, was really good for bowden cables.
IF you have used WD40....just forget it.....it rots plastic (the sheaf), lasts about 2 weeks and solidifies into something like butter!

If you're doing bowden cables....go to a bike/motorcycle shop and see what they recommend.

Halfords (40 years ago!) would have been able to say exactly what to do......they would also have been able to make a new cable for you.
These days........it's just a "car accessory shop, that also sells bikes" ! :(

Used to be Halfords in Leeds (one of the 1st)....TWO floors dedicated to bicycles....now it's just an company selling as much cheap stuff as they can.
Bit like Haynes Manuals..........printed on re-cycled toilet paper, and (if you check) re-cycle loads of the OLD threads on this forum!
Knowing my father in law it would have been old school lubricating oil! We were syringing it down

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,020 Posts
Knowing my father in law it would have been old school lubricating oil! We were syringing it down
I like to hear that!
Sewing machine oil is great....I assume it's still available.....but then again, people don't "service" them anymore, they buy a new one next time they need to make curtains.... o_O
Take any "modern" vehicle to a garage/dealer.....if it doesn't show on the computer, it can't be a problem!

Hairdryer on the cable outer as you "syringe" the oil in.... ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Didn't I hear some of the ABLs had a throttle damping piston thing on the fuel pump that go quite sticky? Something usually fitted for comfort to prevent that jerking between on/off power.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts