VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like to hear that!
Sewing machine oil is great....I assume it's still available.....but then again, people don't "service" them anymore, they buy a new one next time they need to make curtains.... o_O
Take any "modern" vehicle to a garage/dealer.....if it doesn't show on the computer, it can't be a problem!

Hairdryer on the cable outer as you "syringe" the oil in.... ;)
I used 3 In 1 oil, squirted 20ml into sheath using a syringe. Left cable suspended high for 24 hrs with accelerator end still in location. When checked next day cable inner was dry as a bone. Didn’t apply any heat.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
3 in 1 is (traditionally) a ‘penetrating oil’ whose primary purpose isn’t to provide long-term lubrication. The same could be said for WD-40.

I realise ‘3 in 1’ is now just a trademark for a number of products, but unless qualified it sort-of suggests the original spec. item was used, and it’s really not suitable for cables.

Sewing machine and bicycle chain lubes are better as they’re designed not to leave a sticky residue.

Edit: Another brill option is rowing-machine chain lube which is very thin and clear. Don’t use shredder oil as this has unwanted additives, but otherwise isn’t bad as a cheap general lube.

·
Registered
58 Posts
One MAJOR thing......what oil did you use?

I no longer know what is around in UK (I left 16 years ago), but the old 3-in-1, was really good for bowden cables.
IF you have used WD40....just forget it.....it rots plastic (the sheaf), lasts about 2 weeks and solidifies into something like butter!

Halfords (40 years ago!) would have been able to say exactly what to do......they would also have been able to make a new cable for you.
These days........it's just a "car accessory shop, that also sells bikes" ! :(

Used to be Halfords in Leeds (one of the 1st)....TWO floors dedicated to bicycles....now it's just an company selling as much cheap stuff as they can.
Bit like Haynes Manuals..........printed on re-cycled toilet paper, and (if you check) re-cycle loads of the OLD threads on this forum!
Get a load of this then, I bought my Haynes workshop manual in Halfords. I kind of wish I bought some WD40 now to tick your 3 big hates checklist :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts