VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Well today I decided to replace the timing belt and water pump on my 1.9 VW T5, so I had some instructions which went pretty much like this:-
Remove air charge hose that was simple enough.
Remove a pipe again easy
remove airbox, relatively easy but managed to break off the rubber damper that goes into the wing.
Remove engine mounting, I have got an engine support beam, but in order to avoid stripping off all the insulation etc to place it in the right place, I put a jack with a block of wood under the engine to support it.
Removing the engine mounting does require you to remove the offside wheel and inner wheel arch, as one of the bolts is pretty much impossible to get at, even with a knuckle joint.So I removed both parts of the engine mounting.
It then says to remove the upper and lower engine timing covers, the upper one is easy enough, 2 clips and a couple of 10mm bolts, but im buggered if I can get the lower one off.
It says nothing in the guide about having to remove the crankshaft pulley, but im looking at it, and im thinking ive got to remove the poly belt, do I also need to remove the poly belt tensioner? it looks like its held on with one bolt, and my simple logic is saying to me, remove the bottom pulley once the poly belt is removed, and then remove the timing cover, refit the bottom pulley and time the engine up (thats how I used to do Mk2 Golf gtis anyway)

But Can anyone confirm my thinking? and do i need to replace any of the bolts, as I did do some research before posting this, and some say to replace some bolts?

And, ive been a member on here for a while, where do I sign up and pay by dues?

Cheers

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes. Remove auxiliary belt tensioner ( put a 16mm spanner on square stub and push it down to release tension, there's a hole for a locking pin to keep the tension off, a 4mm drill bit will do) 2 bolts hold it on. aux. belt off, four bolts out of bottom pulley and take it off, no need to re-fit, bottom belt cover off and then position crank and fit locking tools.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts