VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On advice from a few friends I have changed the oil to give the engine a flush through before a service in a few weeks. With the aim to change it again in a 1000 miles or so. I had a search of the forum and couldn't find anything specifically for a 1.9tdi so I thought I would document it with photos. :)

The tools/parts required:

• Oil filter (071115562C) and Sump Plug from VW - £9.60
  • 32mm socket and wrench for the oil filter cap
  • 19mm socket for the sump plug
  • 5.7 litres of oil - I used 5w/40 as I am changing it again soon.
  • A 6 litre oil drainage bucket
  • LOTS of kitchen roll/cloth
So having let the van run for a few minutes to thin the oil slightly I chucked it on two wheel ramps and donned a lovely clean white boiler suit from work I began

Having never done this before it took me a while to find where the filter was housed but a few searches of the forum revealed it was a plastic top with a large nut, this narrowed it down and eventually I found it. The nut on top is infact 32mm.

Once I had located everything I drained the oil, I left the oil cap on and just removed the sump plug (located towards the rear of the sump, it is quite easy to find). When the flow of oil slowed I opened the oil cap and let the rest drain out. The oil is likely to flow towards the rear so make sure your bucket is slightly further back than just below the hole. The oil shouldn't be hot, just warm so it shouldn't burn you.

I left this for a few minutes to train totally before putting a few cups of fresh oil through just to flush it through a little bit - just something my dad said to do :)

The oil filter is housed within a plastic casing with the top being removed when you unscrew that nut - an extension bar for the socket and wrench will be useful here.

Once this is removed it should look like this:

The filter just pulls away from the plastic top. Included in the new filter is a new O-ring for the plastic top, don't forget to replace this.
The new one just clips on in its place:

When the new sump plug and the filter refitted the new oil can be added. Add 5 litres, leave it to settle in for a few minutes, then check on the dipstick. Depending on the level you find add more oil or leave it as required. I gave it a run out for a few miles, left it to settle for a few hours and rechecked the oil level - obviously adjust to your results.

I know this maybe seen as an easy job to do, but for the novices (like me) who haven't done it before I thought it might help.

Cheers :ILU::ILU:

·
Special Rapporteur
9,068 Posts
Thanks for this - with minor variations this works perfectly for a 2.0 facelift model as well. Socket sizes are correct (19mm for sump plug, 32mm for oil filter housing).

Filter part number is different (03L 115 562) and it takes around 6.75 litres.

And don't forget - lots of towels and kitchen roll!

·
Registered
254 Posts
It may be worth noting that from underneath if I remember rightly there is a bottom to oil filter with another 32mm head. DO NOT undo thisT:

·
Registered
263 Posts
just to add to this undo the filter first and lift up slightly , this allows all the oil from the filter housing to drain into the sump, then your certain to drain all the old oilT:

·
Registered
136 Posts
A good post - BUT - Why run the engine first, as all the oil will be in the sump after it was last used, ready to be drained. Running it will only splash oil everywhere around the engine. Its a thin oil anyway, also summer, so its not thick like treacle????????
Just my opinion

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A good post - BUT - Why run the engine first, as all the oil will be in the sump after it was last used, ready to be drained. Running it will only splash oil everywhere around the engine. Its a thin oil anyway, also summer, so its not thick like treacle????????
Just my opinion
Guess, just habit on my dads end. TBH I don't really know that much about engines, oil and the likes. I was really just following advice from my dad I:I:

It was more just how to find all the bolts etc etc...

·
Registered
1 Posts
great help - thanks - just did mine. Sump plug screw was stripped when i tried to loosen. I had to get it someone out to "re-thread." Guy mentioned this is a common problem caused by overtightened the screw when doing oil change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi from a newboy in wales, Thanks for this article, just what I was looking for, I'm no stranger to doing all my own work but I did;nt have a clue where the filter was to be found. Thank's again. Inwales47

·
Registered
289 Posts
32mm socket on oil filter? mines a 36mm on an 03 1.9 t28 is that normal or do I have the wrong filter housing on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why change the oil before a service?
Don't they do this on the service?

Also shouldn't it be 5w30 oil? Just been to my dealers today to buy litre bottle and they advised the 5w30????

Good post though. Think I'm gonna give it a go with mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great post, especially with photos. I am just about to do an oil change on my T5 but had to buy special oil as mine is fitted with a DPF filter as I'm sure a lot of T5's are. I've got Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5w-30 which was recomended, 5L £ 23,99 on ebay.
Fred

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nice post, I do all the servicing myself now... I have been back through the vw servoce history & they did not change my fuel filter until the 4th year with 55k miles on! Shocking! There basic service is just oil & filter, the major service is only oil, filter, pollen, air etc... Not even a brake fluid or pas fluid! Poor service

1 - 20 of 21 Posts