VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a new one. Started off with my abs and asr lights come on then went off Run my engine and noticed the speedo flickering up and down so turned engine off and left ignition on and it continued flickering .There was a buzzing intermittently coming from the ABS pump as the gauge moved. I was thinking a speed sensor mainly but the abs light only stays on for a second so can’t get any codes.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,815 Posts
It's hard to be sure because the initial symptoms vary a bit, but it sounds like the early stages of ABS controller failure.

Fault codes don't go away when an intermittent fault stops being faulty, so you shouldn't need to have a code reader connected at exactly the time that the light is lit. But you do need to use a code reader that is designed to read the whole of a VAG diagnostic system properly. An OBD/EOBD generic code reader typically won't help for ABS or dash insert faults.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thanks for that the reader isn’t that good tbh I’m gonna take it down the garage tomorrow I’ll keep you updated. The guy at the garage is a genius so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update . It’s the front N/S speed sensor but told I will have to have the Wheel Bearing done as well as they are linked according to the garage. Seems weird but I’m no wiser if I’m honest.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,815 Posts
Well that's a bit of good news for you - I'd not heard of the speedo flickering with just one sensor gone bad, but if that's all it is, it's a lot cheaper than an ABS controller!

Yes - the sensor picks up from the wheel bearing. IIRC it's common to just replace the sensor and see if the problem goes away, then change the wheel bearing if problems persist. Perhaps his rationale is that he'd rather just work on it once than twice...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last update. Van started chugging as well as abs and asr lights couldn’t get it in the garage so got to work on it. Removed the sensor when I pulled it out it was covered in corroded metal and dirt cleaned out the socket and cleaned the sensor with electrical cleaner and problem solved just drove 300 miles and not one mention of abs. Bought brand new sensors for both sides but will keep them for the future. Very happy that’s the first fault on the van since new and it cost nothing to do. not bad for 8 years old. Happy days.Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts