VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've just become a member on here and am in need of some answers regarding a T5 i'm about to go and look at.

Its a 2004(54) 2.5 TDI with a 121,000 miles on the clock, the bodywork looks mint on it, but I just need a few things answering regarding the mechanical side.

Just from some basic research if done on the 2.5 models there gear driven? so they don't have a timing belt/chain?

With it having done 121,000 miles, what are the main things i should be checking for in the service history for this?

ie: water pump, glow plugs, consumables??? e.t.c

If anybody could take time to get back to me it would be a big help and i would be very grateful!!!

Many Thanks......Cal

·
Registered
855 Posts
Check the oil carefully,level not overly high and not smelling or looking thin with fuel dilution,general sound of it,smoke etc,no rattles on idle and check clutch for juddering,reverse up an incline to test,should pull silky smooth in all gears T:

·
Registered
945 Posts
2.5s are gear driven. They don't have belt or chain for the engine, but mostly are advertised as chain as average people don't know the difference.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi, I'm just a new member too, I've owned a 2005 2.5 for a couple of years, and just been through the
150,000 klm service,
So, like all of the above advices, and make sure correct oil (as in the service book) has been used at
every service, by now the alternator and air cond. compressor (if it has a/c) should have had their
freewheel drives and rubber couplings replaced, it should have had fuel filter change. The water pump,
power steering pump and the oil cooler are noted troublemakers, i.e. they leak. Brake discs and pads are
worth a look too at those miles.
Use the genuine VW service schedule to check over the van's history - it lists the items to be done at
various time/distances, for resale sake it's best to have VW dealer stamped service history. Without a
confirmed service history it's always taking a large risk to buy.
However - there are many, many T5s still going ok with minimum care.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the replies guys!,

Ended up getting it! So pick it up this Tuesday!

Many thanks.....Cal

·
Registered
260 Posts
And then you have the Gates coupling at the Alternator and the AC-compressor. To be replaced every 180K km.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts