VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few things that need sorting on my van

1. There is a drain on the car battery, I suspect it's to do with the stereo and how its wired up,
2. I'd like to re wire the stereo so it is powered off the leisure battery(s)
3. I'd like to add another leisure battery
4. Add a good inverter not a crappy plug into the lighter!

Anybody recommend a good electrics company that can do this?

Cheers

T

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,166 Posts
I have a few things that need sorting on my van

1. There is a drain on the car battery, I suspect it's to do with the stereo and how its wired up,
2. I'd like to re wire the stereo so it is powered off the leisure battery(s)
3. I'd like to add another leisure battery
4. Add a good inverter not a crappy plug into the lighter!

Anybody recommend a good electrics company that can do this?

Cheers

T
1) could be. One way to check is pull fuses and check (assuming you have a way of monitoring current draw on battery)
2) Easily done and worthwhile if using radio a lot when parked up.
3) Another. Have you determined where the second one can go? Once you have got the two together, assuming you want it to work as a single battery bank, you will need to redo either the ground OR the 12V +ve from the first battery to make sure the two batteries are balanced (the 2nd battery should be same rating and type as well and in the ideal world the two should have the same build date). If there is much distance between them, then remember to use the right spec cable and suitable fusing for protection (not necessarily on the +12V line interestingly)
4) lots of decent inverters around. Should be wired with decent cable to battery via a fuse of course. Right cable depends on size of inverter. 500W Inverter could draw over 40A potentially, so would want 6mm cable really. 750W would want maybe 10mm cable and 1000W or more, go for 16mm cable (and remember just 1 hours use could totally drain your battery(s))
I like to add a remote on/off switch on inverters and use a relay to allow me to switch the supply to the inverter on and off.

All the above is fairly simple to do as long as you approach it logically. If you want to get someone to do it, then having a clear idea what is entailed will make sure you get a decent job done T:

·
Administrator
5,482 Posts
If you have a drain from your stereo it could be your CD player. Have read this to be the case in the past. I font that if I just switch the ignition off the battery dies after a couple of days. If I fully turn the stereo off by the power button and then ignition off I don't have any issues

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Martyn from Upspex fitted all the above, very efficient and a pleasure to deal with!
Great job
It's nice to know real people are still out there

Thanks Martyn!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts