VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have seen a number of thread all of which I have tried but with no joy.

My T5 rear lights were not working the other day, I since have managed through taking the clusters off and got the brake, side lights & reversing lights working through removing and placing back the bulbs.

However the indicators are still not both with the hazard switch on and the indicator stork in left and right mode this is and issue at the front and the back of the vehicle. Does anyone know what might be the issue?

From what I have read / checked:
-Passenger swivel plate can cause a bad connection with the loom below, I have removed and checked all wiring / connections here and are ok.
-Does the T5 have a relay? / fuse covering the hazard and indicators?
- where are the earth points for the rear?

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I have know towbar fitted, do you know if there is a flasher relay on the T5? The dashboard is showing the bulb warning light and when the indicators on the clicking is running at a greater speed than normal compared to the warning lights.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,089 Posts
There is no separate indicator/hazards relay - it is all built into the main body control module. Though the exact breakdown of functions varies according to what year it is, it's still all built into a big multi-function module.

First thing I would do is to remove, test and replace every bulb - it's not unknown for a light bulb to fail short-circuit, and if that has happened on one of the lamps that you have not checked yet it can cause the control module to shut down that circuit. Obviously the next step is to check every single fuse. It's almost impossible to say with certainty which ones might have failed, as there are several separately fused supplies to the main body control module.

If all the bulbs and fuses test out Ok, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then trying again. I've not seen it myself but others have reported that this can sometimes help if there has been an over-current situation, when a complete power-down can reset the condition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Triffic,

You were spot on the mark, I tested a

The resistance of the Bristol bulbs and all was fine, so went to disconnect the negative battery terminal. I left it off for five minutes and then tightened it back on and then went to test the hazards, indicators and central locking all is back to normal.

I'm still unsure of what caused all the rear lights to fail but am pleased it is all back working.

Many thanks, Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to soon when I went to start the engine for some reason the fault came back and now when I go to reset via the battery it does not work. Any ideas would be welcomed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts