VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
I made my own from plywood and aluminium sheet. They fit bang on and are also ab fab. You are right....they really do finish off the inside giving a luxury look. One of the best additions that I've made to the van.

JW

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Can i ask, How do they fix to the van and do they come bare or covered?
Many Thanks Mark
OK reread the description and I now know they come bare to either paint or carpet, but unable to see where it tells you how they fit.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Click on the ebay link and read the description and all your questions will be answered
On further clicking I see you are right, thanks, however , the sliding window one behind the drivers seat should be like 3 1/2 sided as you have a big slider housing on the top, these all look to be complete squares if you get my drift. I guess people just cut them, although they probably don't look too fancy then?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
They're made of GRP (fibreglass in old money). They fit aftermarket sliders but not VW ones. They have no fixings on the back which is a problem with most of the types on the market. (Grassroots do a plastic type). They're pretty thin and can break easily if you're heavy handed but strengthen up when carpeted. They are a tight fit so will 'wedge' in the openings or you could silicone them on. Neither are ideal really. Another issue is they're flat and the window aperture is curved so they need a but of jiggery pokery to look good. Someone needs to design one with a form of clip really. No use if you've got curtains either. They do look good once installed though. T:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I carpeted mine to match the interior carpet, used velcro to fit them in place so I can adjust the position and remove if needed!
The original vw passenger side sliding window needed about 300mm strip cutting out to make it fit. Carpeting in my opinion is the best way to go as you don't have to worry too much, but I would advise trimming down the fibreglass trims as the carpet will thicken them up. Fair bit of work but the finish now looks very professional.

A word of warning if you sand/trim/cut fibreglass use face a suitable mask not the type of stuff you should breath in!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts