VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Peeps,

Ive just had the pleasure of breaking down... ahh the common loss of drive! AA came out and confirmed what i thoguth by jacking the car up both sides... my drivers side is knackerd, should be a fairly sttrightforward job i reckon..

AA guy did say he picked one up yesterday from Coventry with exactly the smae problem

I know this has been answered many times before but wanted to ask a simple question! Do you need any special tools to spolit the ball joint? I dont fancy getting all greased up to then have to get clean and drive the 15 miles to my local Mechanics store? I have tried looking around, have found instructions but no mention of a tool?

Also does anyone know where the fan module #2 is located? cant find the schematics :S cant wait for a Haynes manual to come out....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK So managed to get the driveshaft off, wasnt to bad actually and you can do it without having to do anything to the suspension, undo hub bolt, undo the bolt under the hub, undo the middle section of driveshaft and wiggle it a bit and voila it comes off, did have to buy some of the correct tools though.

HOWEVER DESPITE EBING FAIRLY EASY AND HAVING FOUND A CHEAPER REPLACEMENT FOR THE DRIVE SHAFT THE OUTPUT SHAFT FROM THE GEARBOX SPLINE IS PRETTY MUCH SMOOTH I.E NO SPLINES

QUESTION IS, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANYONE MAKES A SPARE PART FOR IT?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The stub shaft is vw only as far as i know. to get it off you'll need a long 6mm allen key right down the centre of it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK So for anyone else out there ive answered my own question! you can get a new Stub shaft, the old one comes out using an allen key... Phew... thought it may of had ot of been a new gearbox... local TPS quoted £139.64+vat however i have seen on the forum that you can get it cheaper...

If anyone wants photos and step by step guide let me know....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Substyle, nearly fainted when i thoguth i may have to get a new gearbox..... we really do need a how to section with full pictures... I may have to do one for this as its not that difficult...

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK So for anyone else out there ive answered my own question! you can get a new Stub shaft, the old one comes out using an allen key... Phew... thought it may of had ot of been a new gearbox... local TPS quoted £139.64+vat however i have seen on the forum that you can get it cheaper...

If anyone wants photos and step by step guide let me know....
Hi there,

We've had our van about 2 months and have loved it!

Even though it had to to have the whole clutch and the syncro mesh? for 1st and 2nd replacing last month.

But today, just as you had, a loud clunk and complete loss of drive, my wife and our young kids in the van, on our way home from a weekend by the sea. We weren't very happy.

We now have a bust T5 1.9 T28 80 53 plate.

I already have a bent credit card and now face trying to fix this myself, I'm not much of a mechanic, but we have been followers of the forum and are enthused to try ourselves. I'm willing to learn and don't mind getting mucky.

Any help and step by step instructions as to what the hell I am doing would be greatly appreciated.

Plus how to change the fuel and air filter too.

Thanks again

RMJE (Rach, Mark, James and Emma)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi, unfortunately a common t5 fault, mine wen last Wednesday and thought the worst, but was stub and shaft no splines left took VW an hr to repair it , now drives like new with no slop .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dickens,

it was actually quite easy, have you checked to make sure it is the Drive shaft? i.e jack it up safely and put her in gear and see which if it is the drive shaft has gone?

Toosl Required
1 - patience
2 - Breaker bar
3 - 30 mm socket - off the top of my head it might be smaller but i cant get into my grage to doubel check
4 - Drive Shaft - www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk
5 - Depending on damage - new Stub Shaft - try TPS, mine came to about £154 ish
6 - Special grease :s i say special but i cant find out whats special about it! but VW reccommend you use there grease and for £2.00 what the hell.
7 - Lots of coffee and Elbow grease

Step One
take centre cap off and undo main bolt attaching hub on, only undo it a little

Step two
Jack car up
and undo bottom bolt of suspension arm, im not sure what the name of it is called but it sits in the wishbone, see image below, you will need to use some elbow grease to loosen it... i used an impact hammer along with some wood, worked a treat

Step Three
Undo the bolts mid way along the drive shaft, turn wheel full lock and give it a nice wiggle

Step Four
As you can see my stub shaft male spline thigny was well and truly knackerd

I had to get a new stub shaft, to fit the stub shaft, surprisingly it was rtather easy to fit

You need to undo the stub shaft using a long 6mm allen key right down the centre of it, ( THANKS DUBSTLYE)

So its not quite a comprhensive guide but i found when i was searching people were talking about taking the suspension off and loads of other random things.. it is fairly easy... However make sure you have the right tools! A breaker bar is a must...

GOOD LUCK AND BARE IN MIND MINE VANS a 2.5 tdi not sure if there is much difference :S and if you need a hand drop us a message..

Fitting of the fuel filter is pretty damn easy follow check http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/how-to-change-the-fuel-filter_topic40352.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Dickens,

it was actually quite easy, have you checked to make sure it is the Drive shaft? i.e jack it up safely and put her in gear and see which if it is the drive shaft has gone?

Toosl Required
1 - patience
2 - Breaker bar
3 - 30 mm socket - off the top of my head it might be smaller but i cant get into my grage to doubel check
4 - Drive Shaft - www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk
5 - Depending on damage - new Stub Shaft - try TPS, mine came to about £154 ish
6 - Special grease :s i say special but i cant find out whats special about it! but VW reccommend you use there grease and for £2.00 what the hell.
7 - Lots of coffee and Elbow grease

Step One
take centre cap off and undo main bolt attaching hub on, only undo it a little

Step two
Jack car up
and undo bottom bolt of suspension arm, im not sure what the name of it is called but it sits in the wishbone, see image below, you will need to use some elbow grease to loosen it... i used an impact hammer along with some wood, worked a treat

Step Three
Undo the bolts mid way along the drive shaft, turn wheel full lock and give it a nice wiggle

Step Four
As you can see my stub shaft male spline thigny was well and truly knackerd

I had to get a new stub shaft, to fit the stub shaft, surprisingly it was rtather easy to fit

You need to undo the stub shaft using a long 6mm allen key right down the centre of it, ( THANKS DUBSTLYE)

So its not quite a comprhensive guide but i found when i was searching people were talking about taking the suspension off and loads of other random things.. it is fairly easy... However make sure you have the right tools! A breaker bar is a must...

GOOD LUCK AND BARE IN MIND MINE VANS a 2.5 tdi not sure if there is much difference :S and if you need a hand drop us a message..

Fitting of the fuel filter is pretty damn easy follow check http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/how-to-change-the-fuel-filter_topic40352.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drop me your email address and i will forward you my pictures should make it alot easier! I forgot to mention! PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO USE some good axel stands!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts