VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone got one of these 3 way fridges in their van? I got one with my van when I bought it. Has never been used, but cant seem to get it to work very well in my van-doesnt make any difference how I power it? Do they have to be level to become very coldl? I already had 12v cooler box, so using that at the moment. Any thoughts??? :confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have one..very pleased with it..T:

Have you tried it with 240v in the house..? before I go away I supercool it on the mains in the house, just set everything to full on and you should get ice forming on the metal plate inside in about 2hrs..
On site I use gas..a bit fiddly to get lit as you have to wait for the gas to come through, if you put your hand over the exhaust on top you can tell when it's lit, should form ice again within about 2hrs then turn everthing down to min..
I'm very pleased with mine although I haven't tried it on 12v yet, got to finish the electrics yet..somebody said you have to power it of the main battery so it will only be on when the engines running, ie moving, otherwise they drain the leisure battery to quick, not figured out how to do it yet maybe someone could help..?

·
Registered
643 Posts
the old trick with a poor performing 3 way is to turn it upside down and give it a shake. turn it back up and leave for 24hrs then start it. this remixes the gasses.

also dont expect them to work well on 12v - its only really meant to help keep the coolant temp up whilst in transit. you should run on mains or gas only once parked up.

ambient temp also factors into how well it works. the new ones need alot of rear venting and a sealed fitment.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Dude, thanks for the reply!
Tried it on 240v and it gets ice cold!!! -5degrees! T:
My drive way is on a slope and just wondered if that affected the cooling? tried it in the van and didnt seem to get much cooler?
I have wiring diagram for my fridge-is this any use to you??? :)

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the drive, tried running on 240v overnight. Attempted to run it on gas, but seemed to keep going out? Am I being a muppet?:(

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what I was was worried about? I tried turning it upside down before running it in the house, and it works REALLY well!! :) But not so great in the van? Was thinking of selling it on?
I already have a 240v/12v cool box, which I am using, but thought the fridge is a better option?

·
Registered
643 Posts
it will be the level causing the issue in the van. the new ones allow for a max 6 degrees off level, the older ones needed to be level to work well.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've got one & it works a treat, haven't put it back in the latest van but in the old van it ran on 12v whilst moving & 240 on site or gas whilst wild camping.

For the 12v just wire it up like you would a split charge system for the leasure battery, works a treat. T:

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Zappally.
Is it a big draw on the leisure battery? Its a big fridge!! Tried tilting it in the house and left it-seems to be cooling ok still! A: Might graft it back in the van? Happy dayz!

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
3-way fridges (as far as I know - sorry for hijack of the thread) are only supposed to be used on 12v when the engine is running. So I would guess that it does use quite a lot of power. If you look on the weaco website, you should be able to download the manual.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Not sure what it draws to be honest but it's wired to the van battery with a split charge relay, not the leasure one.

As stated it only runs the 12 volt whilst the van is running. sorry if the above post was slightly confusing but I'm usually quite tired in the morning after work :)

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, ok.
Think the misunderstanding was on my part! :)
Will take a look at the website and see what they say
Cheers lads! :ILU:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts