VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never insulated a van before but more than happy to take proper advice :)
trying to keep costs down as I had to spend a fair amount unfortunately on mechanicals on my build - I have a few rolls of domestic rockwool insulation left over from when we were having the house done last year and I thought it could be put to use for the sidewalls and roof under the ply lining.....however I'm thinking maybe it would sweat and trap condensation against the cold steel bodywork? in fact for any insulation I'm kindof struggling to understand how it gets to breathe...

am I right in suspecting that using this rockwool would be a bad idea?

thanks

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Generally rockwool is advised against for the moisture issue.

Theres lots of different approaches (look at a number of build threads) but thats a consistent 'not a great idea'
Even if you use the ECO stuff (much much nicer to work with, doesn't itch and doesn't hold moisture in the same way), I would still effectively 'encase' it. (Mine had thermal wrap, sealed with tape, then the Celotex and Eco wool, then sealed with more thermal wrap. Somewhat over the top perhaps, but hey!)

Have a browse of the build threads in 'conversions', theres no shortage of pic and suggestions!

Hope you get this sorted happily :)

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
whatever insulation you get you will always get some condensation behind the insulation as there is damp in the air something like kingspan/celotex is great or polystyrene but can be squeaky unless you block all the seam around the body etc,
to be honest ive fitted loads of insulation and foil bubble wrap my own van is foam filled but make sure you get your cables in first but if you have windows around the van it a waste of time as all your heat will be lost through them, so yes it may help but insulation in a van full of windows is overrated. not to mention condensation from the windows so we insulate then leave a window open to help ventilate and then you have a instant heat loss place but if you stop breathin altogether that may work lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wickes DIY sell 18mm polystyrine sheets, 8x2 ft I think. There a lot cheeper than celotex and as long as you use plenty of duck tape it dosn't squeak.

·
Registered
634 Posts
hi im a bricklayer and in the trade we use two types of cavity insulation, one is full fill using rockwool and the other allows a cavity so the moisture stays awy from the internal walls, i personaly have used thermal bubble foil from b and q i would suggest sticking it to the panels using spray adhesive and then applying a layer bonded with the same adhesive to your panels then another tip would be to use rockwool in between the real favorite between the walls and ply panels would be to use celotex or kingspan taped to the walls over the thermal bubble insulation with a good quality heating tape the same as gas fitter use around closure plates round fireplaces. the real problem with heat loss is the windows the only way you could help with that is to use thermal window covers which i believe you can find on ebay. i think any insulation will sweat but not enough to cause real problems to the body of the van but dont quote me, hope this helps pm me if you need any info and i will contact my fellow bricky mates for a solution ps ther are pics of my van on my profile albums undergoing insulation and ply lining and carpeting regards carl

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quick question on this, how does ECO wool (the stuff made from bottles) not hold in moisture, but Rockwool does?

Can that be right?

·
Registered
324 Posts
i put ecowool under tap soaked water straight away so junked as already mentioned make sure insulation is sealedT:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Foil wrap on the sides first and tape in place with heat tape. We run ducting with cables in where deeded then expanding foam carefully on the voids. Finished off with kingspan. King span will also draw in water vapour if it's present so we cut all panels ready to fit then with diluted pva paint the edges it's time consuming but water tight. The. Tape in place with heat tape. We cover all the metal work with foil tape to help repel heat.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I'm not going to type it all again, but, just maybe, ask yourself: " Do I actually need to insulate at all ?" Unless just maybe you have some additional heating in the van. Even then I really do think it's doubtful.:*

EDIT; Some points from both trains of thought here ( I may be in the minority, but I'm stickin' by my guns I::D )...

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=144993&highlight=insulation

Dave.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I understand where you're coming from, but I really want to cut down on noise (wind and road) and as I intend lipping in said van, a little extra insulation can't hurt. :D

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just had an idea and wondered if anyone ever tried this and if so did it work out?
otherwise I'm thinking to avoid this altogether and just get on with the plylining and carpet...

recently I've been using some large aersol cans of gap filler foam in the house...got to thinking I could maybe use this stuff as both insulation and sound deadner and because of the way it works (adheres to the surfaces) eliminates gaps of any kind and so no condensation?
if I sprayed this stuff on all the metal cavity areas and follow up immediately with the plylining before the foam gets going I'm thinking it could work....

anyone ever tried this?

martin

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
just had an idea and wondered if anyone ever tried this and if so did it work out?
otherwise I'm thinking to avoid this altogether and just get on with the plylining and carpet...

recently I've been using some large aersol cans of gap filler foam in the house...got to thinking I could maybe use this stuff as both insulation and sound deadner and because of the way it works (adheres to the surfaces) eliminates gaps of any kind and so no condensation?
if I sprayed this stuff on all the metal cavity areas and follow up immediately with the plylining before the foam gets going I'm thinking it could work....

anyone ever tried this?

martin
You really have to be careful how much you apply, as the expansion rate can be like a minimum of 10 times it's size, last thing you want to do is push the panels out from the inside. Surprising how stong that foam can be.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
factory campers are all insulated.
its just a matter of using your head.
i cant see how having no insulation benefits you.
there is nothing stopping the heat and vapour you generate from living and breathing from creating moisture via interstitial condensation on the inner face of your van.
surely this will cause problems over time, and a warmer van is a comfortable place to be

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
factory campers are all insulated.
its just a matter of using your head.
i cant see how having no insulation benefits you.
there is nothing stopping the heat and vapour you generate from living and breathing from creating moisture via interstitial condensation on the inner face of your van.
surely this will cause problems over time, and a warmer van is a comfortable place to be
lets take your van in the picture windows all round so heat loss there, then pop top so total heat loss there,as for condensation with all those windows you will get loads on the glass where does it run too, down into the metalwork, the amount you gain from the insulation you may as well just board and let it breath behind the panel.
i agree to insulate but people take it too far on here and spend money on stuff they dont need or benefit properly from

·
Read Only
666 Posts
lets take your van in the picture windows all round so heat loss there, then pop top so total heat loss there,as for condensation with all those windows you will get loads on the glass where does it run too, down into the metalwork, the amount you gain from the insulation you may as well just board and let it breath behind the panel.
i agree to insulate but people take it too far on here and spend money on stuff they dont need or benefit properly from
Can I ask what method you advise ?
Similar to Dave's method i.e. foil on the reverse of hardboard or ply panels and leave the metal panels alone ?
I'm doing mine over the next few weeks and all advice appreciated !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts