VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have the Wallas diesel heater/hob installed in a T5.1 that I recently purchased.

In two previous nights away wild camping (no solar, purely leisure battery) I had no issues starting the Wallas. One week later, I was wild camping again but this time it wouldn’t start. After reading threads on here and the Wallas manual, I came to the conclusion there wasn’t enough charge in the leisure battery. Great, no big deal.

Upon getting the van home, I hooked up to charge the battery and tried the hob. It now powers, ignites and heats as expected. However, whilst it is running, it is constantly “clicking” in the background once every second or so. It sounds like it is trying to ignite over and over, despite already being hot and seemingly running well.

I can’t find anything on this issue on the internet or in the manual. Can anyone shed any light?

Regards

·
Registered
302 Posts
The clicking may be the fuel pump

The wallas needs a big hit of power on initial startup - I connected mine directly to the leisure battery (fused) as there was a voltage drop through the PMS 3 panel

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clicking may be the fuel pump

The wallas needs a big hit of power on initial startup - I connected mine directly to the leisure battery (fused) as there was a voltage drop through the PMS 3 panel

Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply, I will check how mine is wired as I'm not actually sure.

we have a wallas, it does click while it is on, however ours is quite quiet. I would suggest that every two weeks you fire it up, to keep everything clean.
Ahh, does yours click consistently throughout use? How often would you say it clicks?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so fired it up today, it doesn't so much click as a very muffled thump every four to five seconds, it has done it since new, so nothing to worry about.
Hi Andy, thanks very much for confirming this.

I just need to work out a way to be able to get the hob started when I've been off-grid with the fridge running for over a day. Maybe a small portable solar panel would be enough.

I had been off-grid for roughly 24 hours, with the fridge on its lowest setting constantly and 2 successful fires of the hob. After that there was no longer enough charge in the leisure battery to start the hob, even with the fridge turned off temporarily and the engine running. Does that sound about right or is the leisure battery weak?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have had issues with the wallas and 24hrs is about all my battery did as well, this is how I found out my solar panel had gone as before that I didn't have any trouble
The wallas needs at least 10.5v to fire so the only real option is solar, hook up or 2 battery's
I also found it a faff to restart

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Hi Andy, thanks very much for confirming this.

I just need to work out a way to be able to get the hob started when I've been off-grid with the fridge running for over a day. Maybe a small portable solar panel would be enough.

I had been off-grid for roughly 24 hours, with the fridge on its lowest setting constantly and 2 successful fires of the hob. After that there was no longer enough charge in the leisure battery to start the hob, even with the fridge turned off temporarily and the engine running. Does that sound about right or is the leisure battery weak?
So far in the two years we have had ours, we have never struggled to start ours with the engine running, if we have let the leisure battery run low.

I have a 110amp leisure battery Vitron split charge relay and a 140w solar panel on the roof, I have a folding suitcase style 120w panel, which I haven't taken with me yet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm nearly 5 years in with my Wallas and still on the same single 110ah leisure battery - it's a relatively inexpensive Lion branded battery (lion the animal as opposed to lithium🙂)

I have a Waeco CRX-50, use lights, a small tv, waterpump, etc.

Always managed 3 days (2 nights) without hook up - no problem

Can I ask how you charge your leisure battery??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm nearly 5 years in with my Wallas and still on the same single 110ah leisure battery - it's a relatively inexpensive Lion branded battery (lion the animal as opposed to lithium🙂)

I have a Waeco CRX-50, use lights, a small tv, waterpump, etc.

Always managed 3 days (2 nights) without hook up - no problem

Can I ask how you charge your leisure battery??
Wow, that would be amazing!

I charge for a couple days via 230V mains hookup prior to going away.

I've been away a few times since starting this thread but still haven't been able to use the Wallas more than twice on a single charge. The leisure battery is less than a year old. I have the fridge on the lowest setting and tried to limit use of lights and water pump to see if I could get 3 stints of the Wallas but no luck.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would suggest a few things:

I charge my leisure battery via a Victron IP65 charger - this fully charges the 110ah battery

As discharging a battery past 50% is not recommended, that gives me 55ah

The integral charger in the PMS-3 control panel will only charge to about 80% - that gives 38ah of usable battery. So an intelligent charger would seem essential - you haven't said what charger you use

Secondly, Wallas recommend a minimum cable if 4 square mm without joins, if yours is wired up through a control panel, there will be a voltage loss

Mine is wired directly to the leisure battery with 6 sq mm cables (fused at the battery end)

I should add, that if I did need to 'reset' the Wallas (I never have) on my set up, I can pull the connector at the Wallas end

Lastly, have you checked that you do not have a parasitic drain on your leisure battery and do you get your fridge cold on hook up first?

Link here to how I prepare my fridge:

Hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts