VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about herring one of these has anyone on here for one and if so would you recommend them. I like the idea of one fuel for all, more storage space, no problems travelling abroad but a bit concerned with the heating element been at table top height so mauve get cold spots at feet level

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
Been covered here a few times before, with similar concerns about having heat output so high up.

The biggest barrier was (and will continue to be unless it changes) the ridiculous price. Last time I looked it was more than a thousand pounds - significantly more, actually...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate thanks for that, yeah I know the price is really high but I do like the look of it and the fact of no gas which I'm told is better for traveling in tunnel, ferries etc. My only issue is the heating which I'm hoping someone can help with and tell me if it's any good or not

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
I suspect all you will get is speculation about the height above the floor, and the probability that - with only a tiny fan built-in - the heat is just going to go straight up into the roof on a pop-top or high-top. I doubt you will find many people willing to stump up one and a half grand to find out!

The "problem" with gas in tunnels and on ferries seems to be convenient for people selling things that aren't based on gas, but I've never heard of anyone having a major problem with gas. At most you ~might~ get asked to show that a built-in gas tank (which most of us don't have anyway) is turned off at source, but in practice I don't think it happens a lot...

Gas may be a bit more expensive to run relative to oil, but the fact is that a gas burner is far simpler, as there is almost nothing that can go wrong - in fact the regulator is the only thing I have had fail - once in around 20 years of camping - and they are so cheap that you can afford to just carry a spare.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There have been some comments about the Wallas being over a thousand.
I have just had a top spec Eberspacher diesel heater installed costing £1200. You then have to add on the cost of a stove.
I seriously considered a Wallas but decided it was not quite what I wanted.
Speaking as an engineer I personally would not have any issues about having one fitted in my van.
If you light your gas stove you have a very hot source of fire which you treat with care and respect.
If you turn on your diesel heater/stove you should do the same as you know it gets hot and blows hot air out at a certain point.
Clive

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
There have been some comments about the Wallas being over a thousand.
I don't recall it ever being significantly less than £1500, though there may have been special offers that I didn't see. You can buy (and have fitted) a very nice Eber/Webasto and a very nice hob for less than that.

I don't think any of the previous threads have criticised the safety - the issue is more about heat distribution, as IIRC it has a fan that is relatively puny compared to an Eber/Webasto, and no way (apparently) to heat the lower half of the van.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well decision made and after some of the advice on this thread and throughout the forums I've taken the plunge and gone for the Wallas XC Duo......hope it goes as good as I've been told!!

Thanks all

Phil

·
Registered
190 Posts
The ridiculous price of the Wallas XC DUO has given me a great deal of issues when buying one.

However I have the solution. The problem is:

Espar in Plymouth has them for £1599 and Kuranda from Busfest and NEC has it for £1,497.60.

I have a solution that I have just completed and it is now in my garage and cost me £1,660.30 - band new Wallas XC Duo.

Anyone interested on how? (I am not a seller / trader)

Rus Rasp:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would be very interested in getting one of these for that price.
PM me if you don't want to post the details on here.
Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
PJN

No problem, what gives this away is the 30 pence at the end of the price I paid.

I paid for it in euros from Germany.

http://www.freizeit-wittke.eu/de/Startseite

They took the money and shipped it to the UK (about 4 and a half weeks).

Great people kept me informed the whole way.

The down side is I had to translate most of their communications.

Hope it helps

Russ

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hi I have the wallas and find it ok seems to take a while to boil the kettle but heats the bus ok the other thing is you don't get as much condensation as a gas stove and you don't need a habitation certificate that some insurance company's require and if you cost in a heater and hob plus lost storage space the wallas is the one for me

'It's the grey that matters'

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks guys, couldn't find much at all for reviews on the net so we are ordering one this week mainly due to help and reviews fromT: the forum, really appreciated

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You'll love it, it's a great bit of kit, mine will be on full blast New Year in Keswick....hopefully if it's all cleared up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts