VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So on my EBay search for my first T4 I found a Cat B :eek:. Seller tried to tell me it was a Cat C and not to worry. Then I checked it out with HPI.
I have all the details, Reg and VIN and MOT certificate. Do I disclose the details (other than the sellers address) on here or is that a big No No?

Other than my new member post this will be my first official post. Please redirect me to the correct section to post in if incorrect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know
Cat A and B are not road legal and only for scrap or parts
Cat C and D are repairable, but were beyond estimated economical repair.
Well something along those lines anyway.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Post it, cat b shouldnt be back on the roud, unless its had a rebody or major structural bodywork AND been properly inspected etc.

But, its supposed to be declared, and affects the value a lot, so the fact the seller is lying probably means its a shoddy con job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks!
I wouldn't want anyone to be lumped with a worthless potential death trap.

Vehicle is a 2002 Black (Engine bay white) 2.5 TDi
Reg AK02 GXR
VIN: WV1ZZZ70Z1X142564

It was off the road SORN for 3 years apparently.
Also it was advertised without number plates. For obvious reasons.

I did text the guy as soon as I found out. He never replied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a late night thought on the matter...

When a potential buyer like myself finds out the vehicle should not be on the road.
Why is there no method of reporting said vehicle to an authority (DVLA). Who then forces the current keeper to surrender the V5C so the vehicle cannot be passed on as a registered/licensed vehicle???

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The Vans showing NO MOT since July 2015... also written off as beyond repair Cat B, I would expect no insurance company would ever entertain insuring it anyway.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Great post Soul Daddy.

Cat C and D write off vehicle's can be repaired but A & B have extensive damage and should never be put back on the road.

Really kind of you to give the heads up.

All the best

The A-Plan team.

804 Posts
Well spotted Soul Daddy, I personally wouldn't want a Cat B.

Not many people are aware but technically you could put a Cat B back on the road, in exceptional circumstances until 26th October 2015 if I remember rightly.

The internet is full of conflicting information but there are quite a few Cat B vehicles that have been repaired and inspected by the relevant authorities and are quite legally put back on the road. In fact until the 26th October 2015 the V62 form from DVLA had a section which quoted the £25 fee to apply for the V5C for a Cat B vehicle.

We actually have a scheme here at Flux that will cover a correctly repaired Cat B although we would need the relevant documentation that backs up the repair (Engineers reports ETC)

More information can be found here;

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/category-b-insurance/

Hope this helps

Dan
Adrian Flux Insurance

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Well spotted Soul Daddy, I personally wouldn't want a Cat B.

Not many people are aware but technically you could put a Cat B back on the road, in exceptional circumstances until 26th October 2015 if I remember rightly.

The internet is full of conflicting information but there are quite a few Cat B vehicles that have been repaired and inspected by the relevant authorities and are quite legally put back on the road. In fact until the 26th October 2015 the V62 form from DVLA had a section which quoted the £25 fee to apply for the V5C for a Cat B vehicle.

We actually have a scheme here at Flux that will cover a correctly repaired Cat B although we would need the relevant documentation that backs up the repair (Engineers reports ETC)

More information can be found here;

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/category-b-insurance/

Hope this helps

Dan
Adrian Flux Insurance
Dan
Do insurance companies charge extra for a CAT C or D... just seems on ebay etc at the moment there are an awful lot of mainly reasonably priced Cat D cars for sale, I looked at a VW Polo 64 Plate showing the accident photos before repairs it was just a front door and wing yet £3000 cheaper ? which that be more to insure ? do you have to inform insurance companies ?
Thanks in advance

804 Posts
Dan
Do insurance companies charge extra for a CAT C or D... just seems on ebay etc at the moment there are an awful lot of mainly reasonably priced Cat D cars for sale, I looked at a VW Polo 64 Plate showing the accident photos before repairs it was just a front door and wing yet £3000 cheaper ? which that be more to insure ? do you have to inform insurance companies ?
Thanks in advance
We would only potentially require a copy of the MOT certificate or engineers report as proof that it's road worthy (Especially as there's no longer a VIC check)

There's no reason why you should pay more to insure a car because of its past. I however can't speak on behalf of other insurers though!

Hope that helps :)

Dan.

·
Vendor
102 Posts
The one to watch out for in insurance isn't the premiums but the payout. As a write-off, the van has lost a great deal of value, and that will be under scrutiny should a claim go through.

Officially a Cat B write off is salvageable for parts but the shell must be crushed. This does leave some room if you're willing to spend the time and money, but personally I wouldn't bother when it comes to T4s and later unless you have something uber special planned or more money than sense. For the rares and classics however then it could be worth the spend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many thanks for your feedback on this guys.
Hopefully the seller will not put this back on the market and drive it back to Lithuania. Where I believe the work was carried out to save costs.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I looked at a VW Polo 64 Plate showing the accident photos before repairs it was just a front door and wing yet £3000 cheaper ?
Beware......photos may not contain the whole truth - nothing to stop the unscrupulous showing you the minor damage one end, but neglecting to show you the major damage the other end!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts