VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Low profile tyres fitted on alloy wheels fitted on vans do not go well together, regardless what people tell you, why do you think manufacturers fit such high profile tyres.
On a van, the tyre takes a great deal of the impact from the road and absorbs much of the "shock", take that away by fitting low profile tyres and then the wheel and the suspension ends up taking much greater impact than they are designed to.

Like most people, one of the first things I did to my van, was fit new 18" alloys with 225/40 tyres, it looked superb and at first I put up with the ride quality, but after hitting a few potholes, the low profiles were soon changed.

In my view councils should not pay any compensation to anyone who retrofits lower profile tyres than manufacturers recommendations.I:

·
Registered
724 Posts
I don't want to defend budget rims or tyres, but as previously mentioned, this isn't a fair reflection as you do not know the full history of the tyres. They could have been left flat for ages or driven flat or with low pressure, stored in the sun for ages or in an accident. Anything unusual may have contributed to the sidewall cracking, this may then be the reason for the rim damage.

However imo budget tyres aren't worth it due to the reduced grip compared to better brands. Better grip = less braking distance, better safer cornering. If you can't afford the better brands new, get part worn ones.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Until people remember they are driving VANS they will continue to use CAR wheels and tyre combo's.

If you want alloys, get proper load rated alloys, replicas or not.
Tyres, budget or not, get the proper (standard fitment) load rating- any less and you are asking for trouble. Oh, and don't go stupid low profile- ITS A VAN, not a Veyron Rasp: x

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Until people remember they are driving VANS they will continue to use CAR wheels and tyre combo's.

If you want alloys, get proper load rated alloys, replicas or not.
Tyres, budget or not, get the proper (standard fitment) load rating- any less and you are asking for trouble. Oh, and don't go stupid low profile- ITS A VAN, not a Veyron Rasp: x
You mean like these?.............;)

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
i am just taking off 17" autogrip budget tyres . 14 months old and have covered 4k miles . absolute disgrace as they are all cracked and split ....... i drive my t4 like a pipe smoker and there is no way they should be like this ...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts