VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a late '99 2.5tdi Auto Caravelle that's started showing Oil Warning lights

- Red Flashing Oil Can and Loud Beeping -

I know this error has been well covered on previous threads but I'm not that mechanically minded and I'm just wondering if the van is safe to drive ? We're in Brontome, France and I can't seen to locate a local VW garage. To add insult to injury my French is less than poor.

The error only happened once yesterday, but after topping up oil this morning I took her for a test drive and all was good for approx 5 miles of hard driving. After pulling in and letting the engine idle for a few minutes the return journey produced several beeps and flashing lights. On some occassions the red light would go out totally.

Van driving fine otherwise ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the 'I'm broken down in France and don't speak French club'!

It's taken us 10 days just to get a quite out of a garage.

Anyway, we have the same issue with warning lights. I took it to a VW dealer and he told me that as long as the lights go off again fairly quickly it's a fault rather than an oil issue. He gave me an assurance that if it was an actual oil issue, that the light would come on and stay on. Drove like this for a year. Just had it checked out again at my local garage and they couldn't find any issue.

That's what happened in our case anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Shane, what are we like ! Gobes !!! I'll be heading for French lessons as soon as we get home !!

I found a Renault garage who only started speaking English after I spent 20 minutes making a complete out of myself. They directed me 5km down a side road to an independent dealer. After half an hour of our best sign language and the aid of an iPhone translation App he confirmed that the sensor is faulty and we shouldn't be overly worried. The wife is smiling again, and the 3 kids just want to go swimming !!

Hope things work out for you. We're in Brontome tonight, LeMans, for a couple of days and then Normandy till Wednesday 29th. If we can help in any way please let us know and we'll do our best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts