VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post this up as a warning to anyone needing to use there jack to change the wheel.

Pulled up to my unit and noticed I had picked up a puncture so out came the jack and I started to jack the rear of the van up.

The jack was located on the correct load point and was on solid concrete ground.

Just as it got to the point that I could remove the wheel, the jack collapsed and sent me on my ass.

The welds holding the v section on the top of the jack broke off causing the jack frame to open up and the screw pivot pulling out.

Scared the sh.... out of me, especially thinking if it had happened after removing the wheel!!!!

The van was loaded but not with much. Couple drums of cable and my tools.

Looking at a trolley jack or 5t bottle jack to replace it now.

So beware if you need to use it, make sure you use something like an axle stand aswell.

:ILU:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Jesus mate you was one lucky boy!!!
Glad you didn't have your legs under there too, seen people do this to remove wheels!!!
Scary things them jacks, always used a pump jack but after time they start to fail too
Glad you and the van are all ok though dude T: :ILU:

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
U very lucky . I use a bottle jack but people say them are no good . As soon as van is high enough always put spare wheel under van . If the van comes down u may have a chance

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U very lucky . I use a bottle jack but people say them are no good . As soon as van is high enough always put spare wheel under van . If the van comes down u may have a chance
Good advice that T:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Blimey that's not what you expect when you have done every thing by the book . Glad alls well ....phew

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I've noticed that my scissor jack isn't much cop either. I jacked my van up with it to put my alloys on (bare panel van at the time) and the jack got so far uo and wouldn't go any higher no matter how much I turned the handle! This was happening with lots of thread left on the shaft so not because I'd over raised it. It was almost as if the plastic thread had stripped out. It will be flagged up at it's first service.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've noticed that my scissor jack isn't much cop either. I jacked my van up with it to put my alloys on (bare panel van at the time) and the jack got so far uo and wouldn't go any higher no matter how much I turned the handle! This was happening with lots of thread left on the shaft so not because I'd over raised it. It was almost as if the plastic thread had stripped out. It will be flagged up at it's first service.
Must admit, it did start to feel quite tight when lifting the van. Just checked the label and its rated at just under 1400kg :confused:

Thats cutting it fine with a 3 tonne van !!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
our jack was missing when we bought out T5 and im looking a getting a replacement at the moe. been looking at a 2 tonne bottle jack at screwfix? i guess theres a fair bit of info on here regarding jacks but is there one that stands out better than most? ive got a trolley jack for home but need one for carrying around in the back of the bus

Cheers

Nick

Oh and sorry for the slight thread hijack

·
Registered
776 Posts
Just out of interest did you have side bars on? A lot of the aftermarket side bars have been manufactured in a way that the jack can't lift on the correct angle thus causing issues with either fouling the side bars or extending at the wrong angle so the base is not fully flat. ?

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
If you do go the bottle-jack route Nick, carry an axle stand too mate, bottle ones can slip so easiy. T: I guess that Tigger's post answers you question about rated weight too. T:
For what it's worth, I bought another 4t bottle jack for the cider press at Halfrauds the other week, about £20.

·
Registered
776 Posts
our jack was missing when we bought out T5 and im looking a getting a replacement at the moe. been looking at a 2 tonne bottle jack at screwfix? i guess theres a fair bit of info on here regarding jacks but is there one that stands out better than most? ive got a trolley jack for home but need one for carrying around in the back of the bus

Cheers

Nick

Oh and sorry for the slight thread hijack

A bottle jack can be very dangerous as the top has no way of locating into anything, the chances of you getting a flat tire on lovely flat ground are probably against you, i hardly ever use one in the workshop for just that reason, under the wishbone on rear might be ok but fronts would be hard to do, I would still go for an original vw one

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
trolley jack for us about £50.......quite big and heavy but sits nicely under the r&r bed behind the heater out of the way......lifts the van in seconds and that was very good advice about having the spare underneath while your doing it T:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Same thing happened to me when i was working on my mk1 golf , car was jacked up correctly whilst i was underneath the car , mum called me to say she made me a cuppa and as soon as i got out from underneath the car to get my tea the jack failed ! :eek:

I only use a trolley jack now and axel stands are a must T:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just out of interest did you have side bars on? A lot of the aftermarket side bars have been manufactured in a way that the jack can't lift on the correct angle thus causing issues with either fouling the side bars or extending at the wrong angle so the base is not fully flat. ?
No side bars. Van not modded yet as its still my work van for a few more years. ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Just thought I would post this up as a warning to anyone needing to use there jack to change the wheel.

Pulled up to my unit and noticed I had picked up a puncture so out came the jack and I started to jack the rear of the van up.

The jack was located on the correct load point and was on solid concrete ground.

Just as it got to the point that I could remove the wheel, the jack collapsed and sent me on my ass.

The welds holding the v section on the top of the jack broke off causing the jack frame to open up and the screw pivot pulling out.

Scared the sh.... out of me, especially thinking if it had happened after removing the wheel!!!!

The van was loaded but not with much. Couple drums of cable and my tools.

Looking at a trolley jack or 5t bottle jack to replace it now.

So beware if you need to use it, make sure you use something like an axle stand aswell.

:ILU:
I would definatly make a complaint to VW. At the very least they should replace it with one that has been tested in your presence, it could be a health and safety call back issue. good luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts