VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wasn't the case on my ex-AA, but my neighbour and a workmate had the same issue, neither had spotted it........

The spare wheel is held underneath in a cage, hinged at the forward end and bolted up at the rear.

One of the bolts was a locking wheel style, and neither had the key.....

Got my neighbour's off with molegrips as it was very rusty, but could be a roadside nightmare.

CHECK YOURS NOW!

PS, Paul, have you remembered to sort it? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
My Caravelle is the same.

Infact I would go further to say, when you've slammed the bus....... check that you can get the wheel out if you need to and check to see if you can get the jack under to lift it!

I cant on either points. So I either have a a block of fence post to go up on to, or sometimes I take a trolly jack if I'm away for a few days.

Theres no use having a spare wheela dn jack if you can't use either!

Go have a look!

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Thanks for the heads up

Removed and checked mine some time ago when I got the van. Mine has no locking bolts etc fitted. I have got a 2001 van by the way.

Andy

·
Registered
136 Posts
used an angle grinder to cut two sides onto locking bolt then used the trusty imperial(8") adjustable spanner....{ a much better tool than the metric 200 mm version imho LOL:}

·
Registered
414 Posts
I found out when I got a puncture. Had to call the AA out!!!

The first thing they said on the phone was "that's one of our old vans!":eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ha Ha

Just spent an hour under my 03 ex-AA van IN THE RAIN trying to get that locking nut off! Blowtorch, Hammer & Chisel followed by Mole Grips!

Cruising the forum looking for info on Ex-AA Air Suspension when i saw this post. Made me laugh, as i should have checked earlier! Rasp: New tyres on now, and back in the warm!

Drivers side air suspension bag has blown. Any ideas out there?? Repair? Remove? Ignore?

I carry weight frequently, so think it's a good idea to keep if possible

Cheers All

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a blown drivers one as well! I don't think they effect how much weight you carry, they are more about leveling the vehicle if it's loaded. The AA vans do have the uprated springs.
Where in London are you?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts