VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Its taken us some time to find a van but at last we've got on.. (well nearly, it should be in a VW next week to checkout / collect).

We have brought a 2.0 ltr / 102 transporter in white.

The van still as about nearly 2 years warranty left on it, therefore this leads to a few questions to what we can do without voiding it...etc..

If any can help that would be great;

Things we propose to do (when funds allow) are;

Can windows be fitted - slider and opposite and rear doors?

Can the van be lowered - we would only want to use the VW 30mm drop anyway?

Remove the bulkhead ?

Fit rear bench seat ( Can I assume there are floor mountings for this?)

I guess these must be quite common questions for newer van owners...

Many thanks for any replies...

Keiron

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ho and welcome. Would suggest you get all this clarified with the dealer before handing over cash. Generally they don't like non VW bits being fitted

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hi

Its taken us some time to find a van but at last we've got on.. (well nearly, it should be in a VW next week to checkout / collect).

The van still as about nearly 2 years warranty left on it, therefore this leads to a few questions to what we can do without voiding it...etc..

Remove the bulkhead ?

Keiron
No problems with warranty on any of the above, as long as genuine parts are fitted. :ILU:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
You will be fine
The warranty is mechanical really
As long as VW parts used as previous poster said

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the replies..

Genuine parts? would these be brought from VW, would a main dealer take on the work......i.e. springs / windows.

Just can't help thinking if I had the work done by a local reputable non-VW garage that somehow if I had any related mechanical issues (normally resovled under warranty) that it would be held against me....does this make sense?

The wife thinks it may be more sensible to drive around in a 'buiders van' for the next 20 months until the warranty as expired.

·
Registered
324 Posts
To help you decide, I'm about to take delivery in March of a panel van. As soon as its here, it will have VW side windows fitted. Also will have ply, insulation and carpet. Later into the summer, a Caravelle rear seat set. I'm not concerned with the warranty. Don't worry mate.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You can have the parts fitted wherever you like, as long as they are fitted correctly there wont be a warranty issue. And obviously if you fitted non genuine rear seats and then the water pump failed, they wouldn't refuse the claim.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Going back to 4 years ago we used to rip new vans apart to make Sportline Kombi
We still do it if you want something the factory does not make
OK we used Cotrim so was VW approved

If you are doing a big conversion say £10,000 these days its common for us just to add to finance
We hold the funds from the converter until the buyer signs off as happy to take delivery
No worries for either party then

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Hi

Remove the bulkhead ?

Keiron
With regards to the windows, it's not advisable to fit genuine as your panels are not manufactured to accept them in a neat finish. There are plenty of non genuine windows of good quality that look more "finished".

Removal of bulkhead is fairly straight forward most of it unbolts.

Seat mountings (genuine) can be retrofitted to your flooring without issue. Roughly £30 per mount you need 4 for a triple seat and 8 for a kombi 2+1 seat. It's better to try and get these fixings as part of a seat / belts/ brackets deal.

Independent garage will be cheaper to fit springs compared to VW dealer. We charge £25 per hour when we fit vmaxx coilovers or othe mechanical work. Most dealers are up £70-£80 + vat.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi KeironB
I've just had all that work done on my 2010 T5 102 T28 panel van (except the lowering). I never really worried about the warranty - I would assume the mechanicals are not affected but I would expect bodywork in the areas meddled with would be invalidated.

Now I don't know what to do with the DVLA - at the moment tax is cheap (£130) I can't seem to find out online if it will go up with having 6 seats and side and rear windows? Do I need to/is there any benefit in telling them? I'll inform my insurance, who have told me my premium will go up by about £110. Anybody out there with advice/experience? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I have asked this question many times and have been told that unless something you have retro fitted causes a problem with the van (and hence causes a warranty claim) then you can do (almost) what you like and still be covered under the warranty.
I would recommend using genuine vw seats that are purpose made for the T5 and genuine fittings/seatbelts.
Windows are different, I always use genuine windows where possible but have used aftermarket as well, there are pros and cons for both.
Vw are more expensive and harder to fit, aftermarket fit the panels better and are cheaper and easier to fit. The VW genuine sliders look better in my opinion as the sliding section fits flush, but they have been known to leak in the past.
So really its down to cost and personal preference on looks!!
Good luck with your van!
Colin

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I have asked this question many times and have been told that unless something you have retro fitted causes a problem with the van (and hence causes a warranty claim) then you can do (almost) what you like and still be covered under the warranty.
I am not long off the phone asking the question about springs and as has been said above, the garage I bought mine from has said this pretty much word for word. I am thinking of getting genuine springs fitted now, to save on the hassle and worry.

I still have 23 months warranty remaining, so can't take the chance.

Cheers,

Arron.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, 1st ....thanks for the replies....

2nd....please don't shout at me...

I guess I've spent more than I should but have agreed with the dealer (VW van centre) to fit the new van with 30mm dropped springs and some 18" alloys....!!

Atleast this way, the wife's happy shes got 'VW approved parts' and still honour the warranty....and most of all the vans starting to look good...!!

Next problem is insurance....?? (see seperate post if you can help,ta)

thanks, Keiron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi KeironB

Now I don't know what to do with the DVLA - at the moment tax is cheap (£130) I can't seem to find out online if it will go up with having 6 seats and side and rear windows? Do I need to/is there any benefit in telling them? I'll inform my insurance, who have told me my premium will go up by about £110. Anybody out there with advice/experience? Thanks in advance
When we picked up the van (today) - a quick chat with the salesman seemed to lean towards the fact the the DVLA would need to know if the van was to be fitted with seats and windows - although it was mentioned if the windows were only the 'slider' and opposite it woundn't be such a big deal...

I guess this will only be found out when I decide to do it!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts