VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my heater switch broke but my heater valve needed fixing too. When I removed it in spewed it lots of water. Could I just check that's radiator water and that it will refill from the extra bottle or is that water coming from elsewhere and I need to refil it fro somewhere else?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Yep it's water coming from the coolant reservoir. Just to help avoid any air blockages I would run it for a few minutes with the heater on full and watch that the reservoir does not run dry. Normal elf & safety rules apply for opening reservoir :eek:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much. Can I ask why it comes from the reservoir? Just that I have to top up my radiator reservoir every month or so [not much. Probably it if it was between max and min then it would drop to min.]

Also, I need to replace the cable as it's kinked. Is it a ball ache? I've removed the control panel and the glove box and can see where the wire disappears to but I'm wondering if that then goes straight out to the engine bay or if it has quite a fiddly route and, therefore, I might need to remove more of the dashboard?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Thanks so much. Can I ask why it comes from the reservoir? Just that I have to top up my radiator reservoir every month or so [not much. Probably it if it was between max and min then it would drop to min.]

Also, I need to replace the cable as it's kinked. Is it a ball ache? I've removed the control panel and the glove box and can see where the wire disappears to but I'm wondering if that then goes straight out to the engine bay or if it has quite a fiddly route and, therefore, I might need to remove more of the dashboard?

Thanks
The answer to the first part is that if you want hot water it has to come from the engines cooling system which is topped up from the reservoir. It should not use water though. Having just changed the heater valve I would monitor it to see if it is better but if it is still using water you need to find out why. Do a search on here for ideas first before wasting hours looking for it.

I am afraid I cannot help you with the second part of your post:( Best of luck with itT:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts