VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Water leak around tailgate catch

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  benwoody 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

First post here..
Would like to say straight off what a brill forum this is and how helpful it's been for me already, so thanks all!

I recently bought a 2000 plate blue t4 800 special in decent knick. However it gets some water collecting in the well where the tailgate latch catches on the inside latch. This seems to have caused it to become a bit rusty and grimey- lush!

I've had a look on the forum but can't find any posts relating to this issue so was wondering if anyone has any ideas where this water might be coming from and/or what I could do to fix it! I've added a couple of photos (hopefully you can see them) and mine has a towbar if that helps/changes things at all.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone's keeping well.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's quite common.

The rubber seals on the tailgate need "lubricating" with silicone every year or so to keep them supple.
Mostly ignored, so the seals dry out and don't "seal".

All you can do is get some lubricant on the rubber, use some rust remover/primer on the area, then paint it.

Just be aware, that's only the bit you can see!
If you search the forum you'll find lots of people have to replace/repair the rear cross member. :eek:

Remove the rear bumper, and be prepared to open your wallet.
You may have extra trouble, as that wood frame is "maybe) over the plastic, and you'll need to remove that to get access.

The tailgate also has water drain holes in the bottom....so if you have a rear window leak, that could come inside the rubbers.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply bud!

The rubber seals don't seem too hard/dried out to be fair and still seem fairly supple however cheers for the suggestion and I will give the silicone lubricant a go and see if that helps.

Tough to know where the leak could be coming from because there's no signs anywhere else around the tailgate or window etc of a leakage, no water drips or anything to give an indication- could water be coming up from underneath somehow?

Also had a look under and if what I'm looking at is the crossmember, then it seems okay but what I think is the removable tow bar doesn't look amazingly healthy..

I dried it out fully before the rain today and checked once it had stopped and it looked the same before I'd dried it..

#5 ·
An old trick is to hold a sheet/strip of A4 paper between the rubber seal and door.
When closed it should be gripped quite well by the seal.
If its too slack it may allow water to pass by.
Repeat this all round the door seal.
That's a neat little trick! Definitely tighter round the sides than across the bottom, however I found a spot on the seal attached to body, about half way down on the right side that I managed to get my nail under and water trickled out so I think I've found the issue!

Thanks both for your help- do you think I'm gonna need a full tailgate seal replacement, if so is that something that's best to get done for me or doable myself do you think? Not sure I'd trust myself to do a good enough job...

#6 ·
There should be holes around the seals (to let water OUT, but also allow the rubber to compress and let AIR out.)

Another simple trick, sprinkle talcum powder all over the bottom edge of the floor, where the tailgate shuts to, and it will show where water comes in.

#7 ·
Good shout, will give that a try!

Yeah I've noticed the holes, however the one below on the corner doesn't seem to be doing it's job!

I'm wondering whether I should prise it off the van a little to get the water out and reseal it but also worried the water is getting in somewhere else and that's just a spot it can get out..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.