VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Water leaking in from tailgate

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dubmandave 
#1 ·
Can anyone help with this?

I have a 1998 Autosleeper T4 Trident. I noticed that the carpet was soaked at the back, just in front of the gas store. I got the hose on it and sprayed water over the top of the tailgate (with the tailgate closed), and eventually water started coming through the carpet-type material which goes up the sides of the van at the back. It was coming through both the join, and through the material itself (see photos). I've taken it to a local VW mechanic and he can't figure out where it's getting in and advised me to pull all the carpet material off to try and find the source of the leak. He said leaks on T4s are very rare.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Justin

See less See more
#2 ·
I recommend that you have a good look at the seal on the conduit that runs the cables between the van and the tailgate. I had a leak around the hole that the conduit goes into the van, it was easily patched with a bit of fibre glass. i have heard of the conduit splitting and water getting into the van and the tailgate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.