VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just got a 2.5tdi and it needs the water pump doin on it.i done mine on my 1.9td when i got it.just wondering if they are alot harder on the 2.5tdi?

Many thanks bailey

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
A different job completely compared to the 1.9 engine,2.5TDI waterpump is driven by the cambelt which is probably contaminated now with coolant,i would replace both the belt and waterpump.
Not a simple job most good garages dont know how to replace them correctly either.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh that was the plan two change both..so wots the best way 2go bout getting it done?T:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your advice.any1 no how much the main dealer will charge if i buy the bits?

·
Registered
31 Posts
probably £75 an hour and you be better of just using genuine parts,i would main dealer it for peace of mind..

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just had mine done by a work mate who's and ex bmw mechanic. £300
The worse bit was trying to set the 0.55mm lift on the derv pump. You need a vw DTI gauge. Or a DTI gauge, pop rivet, insulating tape , cable tie and 2 pairs of hands!!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Just had mine done by a work mate who's and ex bmw mechanic. £300
The worse bit was trying to set the 0.55mm lift on the derv pump. You need a vw DTI gauge. Or a DTI gauge, pop rivet, insulating tape , cable tie and 2 pairs of hands!!!
If we are talking about the 2.5TDI you don't need the tools you suggest but will need Vag com to set the timing.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
On my 2003 102bhp 2.5 I did need the dti and didnot need vag.com. It is one of the last T4s
You could use those tools to get the basic setting but the engine needs to be at operating temp & set dynamically.
The tools you are referring to are used on engines without an ECU controlling the pump such as the earlier 2.4s & the 1.9 & 1.9t.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts