VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having a bit of a nightmare and could do with some help. was drving along and the coolant got dumped in the the oil, quickly diagnosed it as a failed water pump. i now cant get the pump out, i have stripped everything off and have plaved the extraction tool over it. i put so much pressure on it i have broken the tool a number of times and then had to reweld it stronger than before.

i have tried everythig left it tensioned for DAYS no joy, sprayed it with WD-40 i have just heated it with a mag blow torch to see if it will come no joy. im now at my whitts end. unless i can get it out soon im thinking im gonna have to drop the engine to attack it further

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Sounds bad, im considering doing mine at some point.

If Ive understood the design right its a circular pump in a circular aperture?

What about a bar drilled and bolted across the bolting points to apply some rotational force? Enough to break loose any bonding, or would the risk of cracking the bolt points on the pump casing apart be too much?

Break its bond loose then pull it basically.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its hard to explain without seeing it but yes your discription of the pump and housing is correct. There is very little working room for a start and it has been tourqued to hard it breaking tools despite even being heated. im going to start stipping it down this evening for the engine to come out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So got stuck in this evening single handed and just went around unbolting everything took me about 3hrs and its the first time i ever dropped an engine. you can see from the pics the state of the water pump.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I recognise the van now from the build thread you did last year. I see you've got access to a ramp, but it might be worth changing the starter motor while you've got the engine out. It's a pretty fiddly job to change it with the engine in the van. I think you've said before about the gates couplings, but worth changing them at the same time. Well done for taking it on T:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Check everything, manifold studs and any cracks, do the gates couplings, yes perhaps starter. Even things like 2x CTS sensors (one on block under manifold is not easy to reach usually), thermostat, check your turbo and health of its mounting gasket (oil seal) and remember to renew the donut gasket etc

Anything you can do to save time and hassle later.

I'd even consider rocker cover off and a good inspect of the cam and followers, maybe even the injector bores.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that will look in to it, all 5 injectors were serviced last summer with new vw seals, stretch bolts and wiring harness. wasent cheap

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well to say i had problems getting this pump out is an understatement. I spent 2 weeks and I almost threw in the towel, i spent days heating cooling trying to pull it out when eventually the shaft from the pump came out and i was left with just the race which i couldt cut. I ended up today welding a towing eye in to the race and using a highlift jack on the engine in an attempt to remove the pump. still no joy but under massive load i began to hit the eye with a hammer and the race began coming out with every strike. after removing the race i then cut through to the 2 10mm holes i drilled close to the wall of the pump housing and had to beat and break the pump out bit by bit. it was a horrible job and i really thought it had beaten me.

after i removed the old pump i cleaned the rust from the inside of the pump housing using a die grinder and offered up the new pump and it seems to fit well. As the engine is out i will be doing a few small jobs and hope to have the engine in by next weekend

Look at the bend under load

All done

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Strewth. You have just leapt straight to the top of my “most determined people” list.

I hope the repair and reinstall goes well.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,636 Posts
Good work - persistence pays, in the end!

Looks like a previous owner must have been topping it up with plain water rather than additive, to be that badly rusted...

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Jees! I have heard of these getting stuck, VW Tech told me, said theyve tried pressurising the system whilst trying to remove! I didnt quite believe them but i do now!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's mental!! I honestly thought it wasent gonna come out. It took me 2 weeks in around to get it to budge. I do think Volkswagen have a lot to answer for here. This was a bad case but it's not uncommon for this to happen

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I heard there is a different pump. I rang VW and asked was there a recall on water pumps. They said there wasent. It's bad cos they clearly knew there was a problem by rectifying the pump later but no retroactively fixing the problem. Then this happens to people like me. Imagine how much a garage would have charged? I honestly haven't a clue. The rule book went out the window in week one. My workshop is like a hillbilly's workshop now with all the things I was trying 🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Well done P38IRL T: That was a bad one! I have only done a few 2.5 water pumps but I have always used my own basic tool (plus a good long bar). I had heard that the proper tool can break. When I retired I was asked several times if I wanted to part with my old home made tool which I had always leant to anyone that needed it. But I'm keeping it for as long as I have the van. I'm guessing that your problem is not unknown.

If anyone wants to make one it's an old BMC engine hook thinned down a bit by the hole so that the nut on the pump shaft fits with the max amount of thread possible. The pump nut needs to be reversed so that the captive washer doesn't obstruct the tool. It ends up with 3/4 worth of the nut thread used which is enough to pull out the pump without stripping. The tool is stiffened up by a couple of welded corners.

This gives you something solid with which to lever out the pump with a 4 foot bar and a block of wood to protect the gearbox. If you have the luxury of having the engine on the deck like P38IRL I'd go for a big slide hammer on it before getting really serious with grinding tools or heat. But whatever works for you is good. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good info. Thanks for the update. I did use a slide hammer before the the highlift jack. I used it so much I ended up pulling the shaft of the pump through the pump. Have a look of the pic with the pieces of the pump. You can see the shaft of the pump is on the slide hammer. That highlift jack was at full capacity when underload so that's about 5 tonne. Yet it only moved the race. Make you wonder what it would have taken to remove the pump without have to break it up like it ended up having to do

1 - 19 of 19 Posts