VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just went to run some water thru the taps in the back of the van and it's as dead as a dodo.... Now, the missus took the van for a day trip in the week and said "errrrr there's no water in the van". She said that she only had the tap (pump) on for a few seconds but, well... I'm guessing that there's a chance it could have been a bit longer than that!;)

Is it easy to burn the water pump out if it is left running dry for too long (how long is too long?) or could there be something else going on? The pump is a submersible Reich 8l/m so quite low powered - it just seems a bit odd that it has suddenly stopped working.

Cheers.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
You can burn them out if left on for a long time with no water, but not in a few seconds or minutes - they are generally self-priming so they are designed to run dry for a while.

Find the terminals, stick a meter across it and see if you've got volts there when it's switched on.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I froze one once that lived under the van and I've had 3 microswitch taps that have packed up so might be the tap not switching.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Depending on how old the pump is and how hard your water is. I once had a pump pack up in a caravan I had. Impeller was coated in lime scale and had stopped turning. Clues were there in that the water flow started to get less.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips - the problem was at the tap end, shoving stuff in the cupboard under the sink had snagged the wire to the tap and pulled the spade connector out :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts