VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is the wrong place, apologies....

Standard camper van conversion, with a water pump and container supplied by Kiravans, running into a standard Smev sink. We're off to France for 16 days in a couple weeks time. The water will get used pretty much daily for drinking etc, but obviously the van will be hot, which concerns me slightly as to how long the water will "keep".

How often do you guys sterilise the water system? Also, when you come back from weekends away do you always or sometimes drain the water and run a tank of sterilised water through? or not bother? In the past we've just bought bottled water for our weekends and nights away, but seems a waste to not use the water system to its full potential right?

On a similar note, anyone overly concerned enough about french tap water to consider buying large bottles of water from the shops and using that in the water system?

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
I've never drank stored water of any type straight from the tap.

The water in the van tanks is just flushed through with clean water each trip and then that water is used for cooking, washing and I do use it to boil the kettle. I have drank boiled water that has cooled but that was once in 10 years.

Drinking water is kept in bicycle water bottles or my camelbak.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,299 Posts
My personal experience is that with UK tap water you should not have an issue over a period of a couple of weeks. I often go for more than a month with no cleaning of the water system, and have never had any problems as a result. In fact with an internal tank I've never bothered to sterilise - I just empty it out completely after each trip. Previous vans I've had with external tanks underneath were a different matter - but that's because road crud can get into the tank from the overflow vents.

With non-UK tap water I would probably keep a separate bottled water container for drinking only, with the tank water only used for washing or anything that was going to be properly cooked. But that's based more on preconception than any known facts about french tap water!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use brewing sanitiser every now and then to sterilise the system. And aways empty out and leave everything to dry after the trip - nothing lives in dry...

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With non-UK tap water I would probably keep a separate bottled water container for drinking only, with the tank water only used for washing or anything that was going to be properly cooked. But that's based more on preconception than any known facts about french tap water!
Yeah I think that's what we're going to do with our drinking water to be fair, plus keeping it in the fridge means it'll be cooler in the heat :)

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
French tap water is fine to drink, we've been drinking it for years, allegedly it's safer than UK water. In the camper I drain it after every trip but other than running some to waste when I fill up, never run any chemicals through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts