VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Water Tank and Leisure Battery Advice

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  monkeydub 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I am in the process of converting my T4 SWB and need some advice on what sort of fresh water tank people use in their vans. I want to use a submersible 12V water pump to connect to my SMEV unit and will house the tank in the furniture unit so it cant be too big. Anyone got any suggestions?

Also I need to get a leisure battery, was thinking of 100 amp one - anyone got any links to some good deals??

Cheers

Simon

#2 ·
i got my leisure from towsure - a big orange one. loads of people do them and better to buy locally i guess due to the weight - someone on here will say different i guess but it was easy for me as i'm near a towsure. they're in there for about £90 at the mo.

re water tanks - i had a 20l tank (placcy jerry can) under the units for a while with a sub pump. it was forever needing re-filling, wasn't easy to get to and got things wet insidethe van all the time as i could never get a cap to fit. the jubilee clip i used to secure the pipe rusted as well which didn't help and it took up quite a bit of valuable space in "the cupboard under the stairs" in the van with the gas bottle.

in the end i bit the bullet and got an underslung cak tank and pump and plumbed that in. it was painless to fit and connect up using pipe i got from cak with the pump. i modded the fill pipe to come up through the engine bay and screwed a plate on the front bulkhead to hold it for an easy fill.

it is one of the best things i've done to the van and saves loads of hassle - i use mine as a proper camper and it's self suffiecient in water, gas and leccy for about 4 days ata time me and the wife and dog using it full pelt wildcamping or on a site.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice Burko.

Yeah I think for the time being I'll go for the cheap jerry can route - I wanted to avoid this as it will take up most of the room in the cupboard as you say, might look at getting a CAK tank in the future.

I ended up going a Numax battery for £75 which looks good - now I've just the task of fitting it and doing all the electrics.. could be interesting

Cheers

#5 ·
i have a CAK tanks fitted to my van, they actually list two for the t4 one next to sliding door step and other above the handbrake cable but as i had already used those spaces i had a tank made to a different shape cost about 85 inc all the pipe work and fittings , tanks are well made and good quality

#8 ·
on the left side of the van by sliding step i have a eberspacher fuel tank as i run my van on veg oil, so i got a tank made for the drivers side and in the rear of van i mounted the spare wheel on rear doors and built a boot below see thread for details/pics http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=368950

#10 ·
What a superb mod! Great to see the ingenuity there. I have noticed an approximately 240mm wide by 500mm long cavity behind the rear suspension arm (on the drivers side) that might make a nice toolbox, perhaps with access through the boot floor.

There look to be quite a number of little cavities that could be useful for extra stuff. Got to start somewhere though, and the water tank is that start for me I think!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.